Confusing Thing With Exercise

julieph85

I use a recumbent bike for 20 minutes every day. I keep my Hr in the 140's. I used to use an elliptical and would keep my hr in the 170's on that. Ive noticed that quite a few people on here say they feel horrible after exercise and it makes their pots worse for a while after. That makes sense. I on the other hand feel better after exercise. It gives me a ton of energy and greatly helps my OI for the day. It also drops my Bp significantly like 20mm systolic and 10mm diastolic. So shouldn't I feel worse? If my problem really is over dilation and pooling wouldn't the exercise make it worse after? I've also noticed the more I sit around the worse I feel. I do much better on days I'm on my feet a lot. This just doesn't make sense to me.

Sometimes I feel better after exercising and sometimes I have to stop midway through and lay down on the floor. Dysautonomia-related illnesses can be so different for everyone, and even for each person it can change day to day. But it's great that you've found something that helps!

Like jk I sometimes feel great after exercise and sometimes poorly. I think it depends on so many things for me. The type of exercise I am doing (intensity, how much changing of position I am doing) and how POTS-y I am--also how hydrated. One day last week I was trying out a new pilates DVD with a balance ball. I still can't figure out why, but after 10 minutes I suddenly realized I felt bad. I continued to feel that way for a couple of hours afterwards.

Sometimes I feel better after exercising and sometimes I have to stop midway through and lay down on the floor. Dysautonomia-related illnesses can be so different for everyone, and even for each person it can change day to day. But it's great that you've found something that helps!

lol...on my bad flare-up days, I have to just lie down on a hard floor to get the blood back to my brain! Used to scare my husband when he'd come home and find me on the floor...now it's just routine :D.

As for exercise: When I first started out exercising, it was very hard. I felt like I wanted to pass out if I stopped in the middle of exercising and afterwards. I've gotten better with cycling and if I miss a few days, I definitely can tell a difference. I don't feel great usually the next day, kinda gives me a flare-up, I guess, but the alternative is worse, so I push myself to do it. I push myself too hard sometimes, getting my heart rate close to 200, but am hoping it's not damaging my heart in the long run!

Julie, I'm the same way, I feel great after exercise and sometimes I even get near remission from my lightheaded symptoms. I think in our case maybe our POTS are more related to overactive sympathetic activation because you described you have anxiety symptoms with your POTS similar to me. And the exercise is likely "burning off" the excess norepinephrine and other sympathetic hormones, normalizing us somewhat.

Cindeebee, my heart rate is now routinely at 200-210 for about 15 or so minutes of exercise. My cardiologist gave me the green light, but that's only because I don't get short of breath/fatigued during these heart rate intervals. But anyway you should definitely talk with your cardiologist if it's ok.

Jangle,

My heart rate goes DOWN with exercise and immediately goes up when I stop walking. What does that say to you? Deconditioned - yes. But, there has to be more to it.

Issie

Issie that's really weird. I don't know what to say? It's like your body is better conditioned to move than to sit still, that is common to all of us. But definitely my heart rate increases with extra movement not decreases. I'm not sure, but I still think exercise would benefit you.

Julie I don't necessarily feel more energy, but certainly I'm not too fatigued. The runner's high is always nice. :)

When I exercise it definitely depends on the state of my physiology as to how I am going to feel afterwards. Sometimes I feel this calm energy and am able to do things normally. Other times I am completely exhausted and light headed and need to lay on the couch for the remainder of the day. There are so many variables like hormonal cycle, volume status, blood sugar etc that I know can influence whether I feel great or feel like crap during and once I'm finished.

I think that's probably the main reason I stopped exercising. Once I got the majority of my life back, there were so many things I wanted to do. Since the exercise still had the ability to make me feel bad the rest of the day I would often skip to go and do something I really wanted to do like play with my daughter or shop. :) Obviously that thinking is so backwards (i know that now) since originally it was the exercise that allowed me to do those things. It's a very hard and delicate balance I am learning.

Issie-Mine does the same thing. It'll be up around 120 in the morning when I stand but once I start walking about it drops down to around 100. I think it's because you are utilizing the muscle pump to keep blood moving up to your head so the heart rate doesn't have to go so high to compensate. The other reason a HR will drop when you start exercising is because your heart can't compensate for the increased demand of your body. That's usually something we see with people with significant heart disease though or cardiomyopathy.

I'm like a lot of you have said...exercise somedays will make me feel a little better. A lot of days it just triggers a migraine and/or wipes me out for several days. Usually I feel ok while I'm doing it, but afterwards, it's not a pretty sight. LOL Even my teenage son is always cautioning me...."don't do too much mom" or "I'd never be brave enough to exercise like you do if I knew I was going to be as sick as you get later in the day."

Ashelton- I can sure understand where you are coming from.... Some days it's really hard to decide if I should use the energy I have for exercise or to bea ble to do something functional like grocery shop. A lot of days, I just can't do both.

Mostly I feel better for the day when I excercise. Sometimes not though. For example about 2 weeks ago I had an almost brisk evening walk. I felt wonderful when I was out walking. Next morning I woke up with migraine from **** that lasted 3 days. Sometimes I feel that the days that doing exercise is harder are the days that I feel good afterwards. Weird.

I used to swim for exercise but now due to arm and back injury I can't do laps. Up until that time swimming was a perfect exercise for me. So, I have to walk. Walking has always had it's problems but I persisted until pots hit hard about 9 years ago. when I was diagnosed with POTS I had not walked for exercise for about 4 years because I could barely stand up let alone walk without someone to lean on. I can still have a orthostatic episode when out walking but it doesn't happen to often. That's why I walk in the evening. So I can ring hubby on the mobile -- he's on fast dial and if I've fallen or gotten sick and had to sit or lie down he can come and get me in the car. This rarely happens now though but it will set me back for a month or so when it does happen.

I've realized that I can't exercise at anyone's rate but my own that's why I walk alone. I have to set my own pace. Even when out shopping or something. Whoever is with me will have to be prepared to walk at my pace. They work this out if they are faster walkers than me because I'll be 20 feet behind them..

We need to listen to our bodies; we have good days and bad days no matter what...Don't overdue, because you will suffer the consequences!! My heart rate is all over the map when I exercise. I've gone from 50's to almost 200 beats/ minute, while on the elliptical, and of course, that causes symptoms...I just keep going; if it's a bad day, I only do 2 miles, if it's a good day, I try for 4. I usually only go to the gym twice a week, so I won't burn out. I walk my dog short distances every day, though. I have done a lot of different exercises over the years, tried just about everything, and I know my limitations, especially now. My ANS doctor said I was in the best shape of anyone she had ever seen that was just diagnosed with dysautonomia, and that is because I am determined NOT to let this overtake me!! Even when I was so sick, with insomnia, tremulousness, nauseous, and tachycardic, if I didn't exercise, I was worse, so I would start up again!! I am very driven, and nothing will keep me down...Attitude is everything...I choose to be as healthy as I can be :rolleyes:

We need to listen to our bodies; we have good days and bad days no matter what...Don't overdue, because you will suffer the consequences!! My heart rate is all over the map when I exercise. I've gone from 50's to almost 200 beats/ minute, while on the elliptical, and of course, that causes symptoms...I just keep going; if it's a bad day, I only do 2 miles, if it's a good day, I try for 4. I usually only go to the gym twice a week, so I won't burn out. I walk my dog short distances every day, though. I have done a lot of different exercises over the years, tried just about everything, and I know my limitations, especially now. My ANS doctor said I was in the best shape of anyone she had ever seen that was just diagnosed with dysautonomia, and that is because I am determined NOT to let this overtake me!! Even when I was so sick, with insomnia, tremulousness, nauseous, and tachycardic, if I didn't exercise, I was worse, so I would start up again!! I am very driven, and nothing will keep me down...Attitude is everything...I choose to be as healthy as I can be :rolleyes:

That's inspirational to hear! I've been trying to get back into exercising the past few months and like most people have said, it pretty much kills me for the remainder of the day. I miss the good old days when I used to get a high from exercising. Now I just have to drag myself through the bare minimum. Still, it's good to see that it can pay off in the long run! Maybe one day I can even enjoy it again. :)

Go for it Dizzy, you'll feel better in the long run. As long as I could hold on to something, I was OK. My main symptom was dizziness/vertigo (with tachycardia), when I was finally diagnosed, so I know how that can be!! I started on a stationery bike. I am alot better with my medications now. Not as dizzy as I used to be. I'm not saying I enjoy it, but I make the most of it, because I need it to stay healthy. I like being outside with my dog more than being in the gym. Thanks for the compliment. ^_^

Dizzy, you can do it!! I know it's really hard. I started seeing a new dr & he believes exercise is key for me. It's my main focus and uses up the majority of my energy.

Ever so slowly it's feeling easier and just hrs other say I noticed a little muscle tone :)

It takes a lot of sticktuitiveness but it can be done :) if you don't feel like you can be upright do recumbent