Evidence Of Blood Pooling?

Elfie

Hey guys--

I just wanted to share an experience I had recently and maybe someone with more specific knowledge can help me explain it.

We have natural mineral hotsprings that the locals flock to in the winter. Since getting POTS I have avoided going . . . because, well, it seemed like common sense. However, one of the resorts has recently opened a section of pools that are between 85 and 100 degrees. In the past I've found that getting a little sun during our long winters can help with cabin-fever and SAD-type symptoms.

So, the other day I took a friend (who drove, great guy!) and figured I might end up spending most of the day sitting on the rocks rather than in the water. I was surprised-- I did very well in the "bathwater" pools and even tried a hot one.

Of course, the hot water caused my heart rate to raise after a short dip. However, I noticed something kind of odd. Despite sitting with my legs down and standing in the hot pool, my legs remained lilly-white, almost bloodless. I do take midodrene (vasoconstrictor), but even the perfectly fit, healthy man I was with showed signs of minor blood pooling in his feet and legs in the hot pool.

I didn't have significant symptoms until I was in the locker room (not POTS friendly, esp. with all the mother's with children and other women who felt the need to "spread out" on all the seating).

I know there are forms of POTS where there isn't significant blood pooling (hyperadrenergic, right?), but I've never suspected I have any other symptoms for those types, despite not ever or rarely seeing evidence of blood pooling. I also found it was strange because I was very relaxed with no adrenaline-type symptoms during this time.

Maybe sense water makes gravity less intense the water causes less stress on your body to counteract the gravity, even with the heat. So you would feel better until you got out and the gravity was more intense again making you more symptomatic. I don't really know but that's the only idea i have. Also many people with POTS can be vitamin D deficient so a little sunlight can make you feel better. Like i said i don't really know , just putting in my input. I'm new here.