nausea driving me nuts! any sugg?

denabob

I'm new at this so forgive me if it has already been discussed. Even though I am very thankful for my med. giving me about 2-3 good weeks a month, I still struggle through the time that's left until I can have my shot again. My everyday med usually (well mostly really) keeps me from passing out completely but I battle very strong nausea unless I lay with my feet elevated! I know I'm whinning but I'm tired of laying.If anyone has any ideas I'd really like to hear them.I'm also so new to this that I have a hard time dealing with the limitations that I'm suddenly faced with any hope that this will get easier?

I've had problems with my stomach for about 10 years now (and I'm only 22- it started as a child) and I now know that the POTS had a lot to do with it. It's something I have gotten used to, and although you'll hate to hear it, it may be something that is going to take some getting used to. Some of us have more problems than others with the nausea, but don't hesitate to have it checked out by your doc to rule out other problems. I found out after 6 years of chronic stomach problems that I was intolerant to eggs, dairy, and wheat- and just this fall I found out I have a slight gluten sensitivity. I find that sticking to my diet eliminates about 90% of the nausea and bowel troubles. The rest is just from my ANS being out of whack, BP shifts, and I cope with it by staying relaxed as much as I can, no matter what else is going on. I hope you feel better soon, I'm sorry I couldn't be more help!!

Sublingual Zofran always works for me. If you have nausea because your stomach is not emptying, you might want to try Domperidone. You will need to get this through a compounding pharmacy, and the liquid suspension version seems to work a bit better - for me. We all react differently! Good luck. I know how nasty constant nausea can be....

-Dan

Your are NOT whinning! This is real. The nausea is real. The limitations are real and it REALLY (insert explitive of your choice :-)

I have a handful of things I try when the nausea is unbearable ... some work some of the time and other times nothing seems to work but time for it to pass.

* Wrist bands. They sell these at the pharmacy for sea sickness ... a little sweat band with a marble inside that you position on your inner wrist.

* Crackers or juice BEFORE I try and get out of bed in the morning.

* Mint or Chamomile tea.

* Lifesaver peppermint candy.

* Very small frequent meals. Maybe even just a bite of mellon or apple every 10 minutes.

* Ibuprofin. Don't know why but sometimes an Advil seems to help the nausea.

Good luck.

May you find moments of comfort and hidden treasures in the dark moments.

EM

Yep, I've been suffering from chronic nausea for sometime now. Nausea is worse when my pressure is low. It makes it hard to eat, but to some degree you get use to it. Dr. Grubb just gave me a script for Zofran, I'll let you know how it works. Picked it up from the pharmacy last night, it cost me 280.00 after insurance and the insurance company would only allow me to have 20 out of the 30 pills prescribed.

Bentyl, zofran, etc. give me horrible dry mouth and make me too sleepy. I use sublingual levsin .125 mg. It does help a little. So does ginger tea sometimes. However, there are times when nothing seems to touch the nausea for me. Hope you find better options than I have!

Nina

Try drinking real rootbeer. Not the kind with artificial flavoring. Someone told me about this when I pregnant and it worked for me. I suggested this once before to someone who has POTS and it worked for them. Hope it works for you, too.

Did anyone mention ginger root? Tea is good, and sometimes I buy the root and put slices in my tea with lemon. Or if it's really bad, just suck on the root.

Here's a weird one that an alternative doctor recommended to me. I was skeptical at first, but it really helped me.

You take this drink on an empty stomach and drink it fast!

Mix about 1 cup of water with

lemon juice (approx 1 tablespoon)

honey (optional for taste, 1 tablespoon)

and lastly, mix in 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (you work up a tolerance)

Stir and drink quickly. The cayenne burns your mouth, but the heat is what heals the stomach. I found it particularly helpful when I had diarrhea as well. Anyways, it stopped the nausea almost immediately for me.

Pam