Would You Do Iv Saline Yourself?

shoegal

I have a port for my saline use and been using saline for over a year. It require's supervision to a point. I've been told to much saline can cause problems with lungs, kidney's , and liver. I have blood test's preformed on a regular basis to check these along with vital signs and inspection of the sight checked weekly by a visiting home nurse. I would think doing Iv's yourself would be very dangerous. You need to use heprain daily with to cut down chance of blood clot in line and blood stream. I dont belive you can get heprain without script. Plus even though I have a port regular checks and a nurse I still just recovered from blood infection and clot in port. I would stay away from doing it on your own due to the risks!

Wouldn't recommend you doing that. I get infusions at a infusion center weekly ... you could always go to one of those instead of the ER. Just get approval from a doc and get them to refer you. It is to risky to do it yourself. Even when you do in-home infusions (which I don't even feel comfortable with) a nurse has to be advising it. Taking ur vitals , checking IV site , etc.

I went to college near two military bases. It wasn't unheard of for the young guys to give themselves or their buddies a bag or two of saline as a hangover cure-- starting an IV is something they teach you in basic as part of combat medic training-- as is keeping an eye on vitals and for infiltrating IVs, ect.