Problem Eating

surfgirl14

Hey Guys. So one bad symptoms I have is nausea which leaves me not wanting to eat. I have barley eaten in like 3 days. But then i'll get better and be able to eat again like full meals but then ill get nausea again and the cycle to barley eating will start all over again. Does anyone else get this? Also is it dangerous to not be able to eat that much? At what point should you consult a doctor? I have lost lots of weight about 20-30pounds (have been told im underweight) but doctor aren't really concerned.... I love food so when I am able to return to eat again w/out being nauseated I tend to eat a whole lot... which doesn't seem healthy :/

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Potsgirl93,

I can completely relate. When my GI symptoms flare, I not only have nausea but I have no appetite. Then, when things settle, I become ravenous...I can't get enough to eat, like my brain won't turn off the hunger signals.

My first advice is to try to find a doc that will work with you to find a GI drug that will settle the nausea cycle faster than just letting nature take its course because some of my GI flares have lasted 6-8 weeks. Next, my body often will crave only 1 or 2 items when I don't feel well and it is usually things you wouldn't normally eat if you feel sick...like apples for me. But, if I eat apples, because that's what I'm craving, it doesn't make me sick. So, if there is anything you're craving, even if it seems weird, listen to your body. And, finally, not that it is a healthy diet, but, coke and pretzels got me through many days when I was feeling really bad.

I hope you find something that works for you. I know you've posted about this before and it's been going on for a while.

This is exactly what happens to me. I have lost about 10 pounds so far but I was actually overweight anyways so it's not a bad thing for me. When I feel bad I will eat nothing or crackers for 3 + days. Then when I feel good again I eat a bunch of food too! I'm on Phenergan for nausea which is not helping very much. I'm going to be tested for bacteria in my stomach and gastroparesis. Have you been tested for either of those?

Thanks for the reply ... Actually coke does work with me too when I am in those GI flares. And thanks :) Yea this is one of the worst symptoms.

PuppyLove: Hey. Yea Nausea like isn't fun at all I hate it. Actually I had a GI doctor who was not good so we stopped going to her. We mentioned gastroperisis to her and she just shut us off and said "no , no you don't have that". But my pediatrician just refered me to another doctor , I am hoping he will be a good help.

I have major problems with having no appetite but it is important for my POTS to keep my tank full. SO even when I don't feel like I want to eat and have bad nausea I still make myself eat just enough of what my body needs. It is very hard I will admit and sometimes my body will reject it and I will get sick anyways but at least I'm getting some of what my body needs for nutrients. I've never really took any meds for nausea but I'm wondering if I should now.

I have major problems with having no appetite but it is important for my POTS to keep my tank full. SO even when I don't feel like I want to eat and have bad nausea I still make myself eat just enough of what my body needs. It is very hard I will admit and sometimes my body will reject it and I will get sick anyways but at least I'm getting some of what my body needs for nutrients. I've never really took any meds for nausea but I'm wondering if I should now.

Most of the time I don't have an appetite either and am nauseated all the time...I always thought it was because of my dizziness, but now that is somewhat better with medication, I feel it is probably more gastro related. I have a smooth muscle relaxant, Urogesic Blue, when I have a lot of side pain, phenergan puts me to sleep, and the only time I vomit, is when I have had vertigo, but my stools can fluctuate at times, so getting a nutritious diet is essential! I have lost 10 pounds, but I eat whether I feel like it or not, because I know I should. I can eat better in the evening, so I take advantage of that, and everything in moderation and small amounts, more frequently. I can't tolerate high fat foods, so I know I will suffer the consequences if I do, and that also helps me keep my cholesterol down, which is good. I've always been thin. I weigh 105# at 5'5".

Same thing happened to me at onset of POTS--rapid weight loss from my usual 103# (5-5") to 97# in 2 days which i believe was all volume. I also completely lost my appetite, had nausea and early satiety (felt full quickly). I drank 3-5 cans of ensure plus daily so I would not lose any "real" weight. As I have improved with Dr Levine's protocol, high Na diet, florinef my appetite has come back and the nausea and early satiety resolved.