When The Fatigue Hits, Do You Have Apnea/shallow Breathing While Awake?

McKenzie

I was diagnosed with NCS, I suspect I also have CFS or Lyme disease. When I get hit with a wave of fatigue/weakness, I find that my breathing becomes so shallow that it makes my symptoms worse.

Anyone have any tricks or treatments to help with this?

I've noticed that sometimes, too. Distraction helps, because then you don't focus on your breathing as much and get yourself into a panic about it. Maybe a good book or tv show to take your mind off of it? Otherwise, I noticed that I do this thing where I take a deep breath through my mouth, hold it for maybe 2-3 seconds and exhale slowly. I didn't realize I did that until my tilt table test when they asked me to stop because it was my body fighting off a faint, but it was hard to stop it. I have tried Vinyasa Yoga breathing during times of shallow breathing, but I think it makes me focus on my breathing too much and might not actually be as helpful as something that distracts and takes your mind off of it.

I don't have any real tips, but I know what you are talking about. When I'm exhausted at bedtime I lay there feeling like I can't draw a complete breath and also as I'm dozing off I sometimes stratle awake with a deep breath like I've had an episode of apnea. I had this for years. Sometimes it seemed to help to prop up more or lay on my left side and take a few deep breaths. Sometimes if the shallow breathing/tight chest was accompanied by BP volatility I took a small dose of clonazepam (Klonopin) and it seemed to calm my system down and loosen up my chest.

Since I've discovered these last few months that my POTS is likely related to mast cell activation, I've been on antihistamines (several) and the anti-leukotriene drug, Singulair. It's interesting but I'm finding that I have fewer nighttime episodes like that and feel less breathless in general while on these allergy meds. Don't know if it's related or not, but might be as I might have been having mast cell activation in my lungs (like an asthmatic person but I don't have asthma). Come to think of it, even before my mast cell activation was discovered, I used to feel better when I took Benadryl (an antihistamine).

Interesting, it seems that taking Benadryl would have the opposite affect. But I see why it would work.

I do the same thing, it usually takes me about 20 after laying down before I can take a deep breath. And I wake up shortly after falling asleep, by taking a deep breath.

I haven't had a full work up by a pots doctor yet, so maybe that should be my next step. I haven't been able to work a full day since October. I keep trying, but when I work more than 4-5 hours, I seems to catch up with me rather quickly.