Still Abnormal

Jillybeanbme

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been chatting much lately, between work & children I haven't had much time or energy to get on the computer.

I went to the doctor today to get the results from my tilt table. I'm still abnormal. Like I didn't already know this! I had a lot of oscillation in my BP & HR, enough to where I probably should have been passing out. He put on 3 meds, 2 of which the info sheets from the pharmacy says will decrease the effects of birth control Not Good!!! I'm defiantly gonna have to call back and get some more info on that!!! All the things he wants me to do, I'm pretty much already doing except drinking a lot of water. He wants me to drink 3 liters a day. That is going to be hard for me, I'm not a drinker. I drink something when I'm thirsty and that's it, I'm not one to drink just to drink.

I hope everyone feels there best and thanks again for just being here.

Jill

:o

Steph

The two meds he gave me are Phenobarbital and Theophyllne. There are a lot of antibiotics that effect birth control as well, always read the info sheet from the pharmacy or ask the pharmacist. I love my children dearly...but I do not want anymore. Therefore I pay close attention to drug interactions with birth control.

I bought a 1 liter bottle of water at lunch today and by 5pm I had only drank 1/2. It's going to be a long hard challenge.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Guest tearose

Hi Jill!

It is a balancing act between all your responsibilities, work, children, you, chores...just think of this as something you must do!

I agree with Steph that increasing fluids in measured amounts at planned times will help you reach your intake goal. I was also never a big water drinker! When I had to do this task I told myself "every hour on the hour" I will swig seven gulps of water". And within three days I was drinking more regularly. The only down side is adding four more trips to the restroom to your already busy schedule! :o

take care, tearose

Those two seem like odd meds for the treatment of POTS. Do you also have asthma? Why phenobarbital and not Klonopin or Xanax? Does anyone know what the differences are between these classes of drugs (barbituates vs. benzodiazipenes)? Maybe there's some sort of benefit to this drug vs. the others?

In any case, I hope these meds work for you and that you start feeling some relief soon.

Amy

Hey, Jill!

Hang in there with the water. Tearose's suggestion is really good - maybe that will help you.

Most of us with dysautonomic problems have a compromised thirst mechanism. We don't feel thirsty until waaaaaaay late in the dehydration process. (Typically a person will feel thirsty at the beginning of dehydration.) Sometimes it helps to know that our mechanism doesn't work properly. The knowledge of that trouble created a shift in my thinking and made me more determined to drink before feeling thirsty. Maybe it will do the same for you.

Steph- I talked to the pharmacist today. I was wrong about the Theophyllne. It doesn't effect birth control, birth control increases the effects of it. The Phenobarbital he said will Definitely DECREASE the effects of birth control. I solved the problem rather quickly today. Luckily for me it's that time of the month and I was able to get in to Ob/Gyn for a modern no copper IUD that my meds won't have any effects on!!

Amy- The 3rd med he put me on was Klonopin. I'm to take that and the Phenobarbital at bedtime. And I already had a rx for Xanax .25 for daytime. He explained to me why the combination and I would love to explain it to you if I could remember it all. Something about it helps to control the pooling in my spleenic area and helps relax my over active parasympathetic system. I took all three meds last night and it may just be all in my head, but I felt great today!!! The best I have in a long time.

I got down a full liter of water today. But I guess my 20oz Dr. Pepper cancels out some of that water. :D I will try harder this weekend. I've somehow have to make it become a habit.