Ratio Of Angiotensin Ii To Aldosterone.

jangle

I have an interesting result from running the numbers from Dr. Stewart's study on POTS and Dr. Raj's study on POTS.

In Dr. Stewart's study, the ratio of angiotensin ii to aldosterone is as follows:

Low Flow POTS: 21.19

Normal Flow: 6.875

Control:7.8

High Flow: 5.16

In terms of percentages relative to control:

Low Flow = 271%

Normal Flow = 88%

High Flow = 66%

In Dr. Raj's study (General POTS patients, undifferentiated to type)

POTS: 9.34

Control: 2.8

In terms of percentages:

333%

So from these findings you can see that in Low Flow POTS, patients have 271-333% increase in their angiotensin ii:aldosterone ratio relative to controls. (I presume most of Raj's patients were low flow to have such a high angiotensin ii average level)

Whereas in normal flow and high flow, patients have a lower angiotensin ii:aldosterone level.

The relevant parameter might be to therapeutically target both ends of the ratio to bring it towards control's ratio level. In the instance of high flow, it would probably proceed by raising angiotensin ii levels. In low flow patients it would proceed by lowering angiotensin ii levels.

Ya I don't know what's going on with normal flow, the difference isn't likely to be statistically significant. But maybe renin is involved with normal flow.

Still I wonder if the majority of POTS patients are "low flow" because Raj's undifferentiated POTS type had the typical profile of Dr. Stewart's low flow. Unless of course Raj selectively looked only for low flow patients, but I don't think that is likely.

Ya I don't know what's going on with normal flow, the difference isn't likely to be statistically significant. But maybe renin is involved with normal flow.

Still I wonder if the majority of POTS patients are "low flow" because Raj's undifferentiated POTS type had the typical profile of Dr. Stewart's low flow. Unless of course Raj selectively looked only for low flow patients, but I don't think that is likely.

Don't know, wish I could figure this one out. I have low renin and aldosterone and seem to have more low flow type symptoms. I know I don't fit into the majority mold at all. I think I'm one of the minority ones. My doc at Mayo told me I was the hardest type to treat and it was going to be really hard. He wasn't kidding.

Issie