Options To Treat Excessive Sympathetic Activity

Annaliese

I almost certainly have excessive symp activity. My eyes hurt with too much light, i cant stand noise and smells. I have terrible anxiety (not cognitively induced). Initially i had high standing bp but now its low (im about to be tested for adrenal fatigue as it was over a year that my standing bp was high). Since i now have low BP, its a bad idea to use clonidine on its own. My Qs are

1. Has anyone ever been prescribed clonidine WITH florinef to address the excessive symp activity but to avoid very low blood pressure?

2. What other sympatholytics have people been prescribed other than clonidine?

Ive tried the SSRI lexapro and had a very bad reaction to it (terrible anxiety and diarrhea). Ive tried AVANZA and this did nothing for my anxiety.

Thanks guys

Be careful with the clonidine...I was on it before and it made my symptoms worse. My BP dropped way too low and we couldn't get it back up. My cardiologist had me come in and they had to give me two bags of iv fluid and monitorfor a period of time before they could release me.

If you end up trying it make sure that it is at a time when you can be flexible with not doing anything at all and have someone around to keep an eye on you and monitor your vitals closely.

I wish you the best of luck and hope it all goes well for you!

I couldn't use the clonidine either. But, Tramadol has lowered my bp and helps with the over active sympathetic system. They aren't really sure why it works - but, for me it does. First, you will probably have to see what happens when you come off the clonidine and if your bp comes back up. I've had some people say it doesn't work for them at all. Everyone is different. I don't use it all the time either - because you can get addicted to it and it will stop working. So, I take between 1/2 and 1 at bed time and cycle on and off of it.

Annaliese, dx hyper POTS. my symptoms were tremulousness, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, brain fog, BP spikes (highest to 177/121...my BP used to be always 100-110/60-70), flushing, rapid weight loss 103-->97# in 2 days at onset due to hypovolemia (my clothes fit the same). I am also on month 4 of dr Levine's protocol and a very high salt diet. With this, I feel nearly normal, but still have BP spikes just not as bad

Julie, im not doing the levine but started recumbent cycling and its really helped with everything really. I started at 2 mins at resistance consistent with a hr between 95 and 105. I increased 2 mins every week or second week depending on how i felt. The key i reckon is to make sure not to overdo it. If i ever got palps i stopped for eg. I also never did it whilst sick. I put the buke seat way back so i was almost lying down so i could get my heart rate that low.

Julie, go to potsrecovery.com and you will find the contact info for dr Levine's staff. If you have your physician contact them, they will send you the protocol if you qualify. Takes a few weeks to hear back b/c they do the worldwide registry on their own time. This protocol is difficult but has produced amazing results for many people. I started to feel meaningfully better at the end of two months ( I felt consistently safe to drive) and now in the fouth month I feel great.

Annaliese, I tried propranolol for about a week very early on and didn't notice any benefit, but i think it's worth trying both.