Has Anyone Ever Looked Into A Hormonal Cause For Pots?

julieph85

I'm curious because so many of us are women and some of us it started during pregnancy. There is a theory that autoimmune disorders are so prevalent in women because they can be triggered and mediated by hormones. Maybe something with estrogen and progesterone?

Well I always thought hormones were the cause of my problems and all hormonal testing has been normal. Until recently nothing has been abnormal until they found a mass on one of my ovaries, which they have to remove the ovary and I suggest having a hysterectomy (Feb.28th) and my doctor agreed. I will be having a radical hyster leaving only 1 good ovary.

So I guess I will know soon if my hormones were playing a part of my POTS.

I know for sure stopping my cycle is going to be helpful and with only one ovary should be less hormonal activity. I believe I have had POTS since I was a teen but pregnancy made it progress in my case. I will keep an update on my recovery and hopeful improvements!

Wow, that study shows the complete opposite opinion than the one I read earlier. The study I read said that estrogen would increase angiotension 2 and cause high blood pressure and cardiac symptoms. I suppose if that's what you need to have done - it would be good. If you have low angiotension 2 levels and low blood pressures. But, for us with high bp's and possible high angiotensions - maybe not so good.

I wrote on the earlier post when you brought this up. So, many have endometrosis involvement and have had hysterectomies due to that. The idea is that endo is from too high estrogen. It makes you wonder if there is a connection. We are bombarded in life with estrogen exposure all around us - in our foods, plastics etc. So this could also affect males.

Estrogen most definitely is involved with POTS. It's realistically the only thing that explains why there are more female patients with POTS than male patients. I haven't researched into this enough I'd have to read up more on what's going on with estrogen/angiotensin ii and other relevant hormones that estrogen might influence.