Green Juicing For Energy And Fatigue

RichGotsPots

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've been using a slow juicer to juice tons of veggies and it has greatly increased my energy.

I juice spinach, kale, cucumbers, celery, collard greens, asparagus (my favorite)

I add tomatoes and baby carrots to counter the bitter taste.

I also add green KYO Green powder that has wheat grass, barely grass and chorella.

I drink about 24-32 oz of in the morning on an empty stomach and I don't eat anything until 90-120 minutes later. Sometimes I drink 16oz in the morning and 16oz around 3pm.

It's doesn't help with my blood pooling but I'm not fatigued as quick.

Because my energy is double sometimes I can over do it, forgetting about my blood pooling...

Since I use a slow juicer called Omega VERT, I only have to juice once every 3 days because it stores in the refrig for up to 48 hours..

That is awesome. I know some people with chronic illnesses (like MS) have cured themselves through juicing. Not sure that would work for POTS since many of us benefit from salt.

Rama is right. My stomach could not take that. Even if I have vegetable based soups for a couple of days that kills me. I have had moderate benefit fom greens pills and wheatgrass pills. I'm sure fresh veggies are much better.

not a fan of cooked kale but juiced it's not as bad. Got this off web md:

"Move over Popeye and make room for the "queen of greens," kale. Gaining in popularity, kale is an amazing vegetable being recognized for its exceptional nutrient richness, health benefits, and delicious flavor.

Eating a variety of natural, unprocessed vegetables can do wonders for your health, but choosing super-nutritious kale on a regular basis may provide significant health benefits, including cancer protection and lowered cholesterol.

Kale, also known as borecole, is one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet. A leafy green, kale is available in curly, ornamental, or dinosaur varieties. It belongs to the Brassica family that includes cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, collards, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts.

What makes kale so exceptional? Here is why it's a superstar vegetable -- and ways to work it into your diet.

Kale is a Nutritional Powerhouse

One cup of kale contains 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 15% of the daily requirement of calcium and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), 40% of magnesium, 180% of vitamin A, 200% of vitamin C, and 1,020% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus.

Kale’s health benefits are primarily linked to the high concentration and excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A, C, and K -- and sulphur-containing phytonutrients.

Carotenoids and flavonoids are the specific types of antioxidants associated with many of the anti-cancer health benefits. Kale is also rich in the eye-health promoting lutein and zeaxanthin compounds.

Beyond antioxidants, the fiber content of cruciferous kale binds bile acids and helps lower blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease, especially when kale is cooked instead of raw.

Super-Rich in Vitamin K"

Yes.....GIVE PEAS A CHANCE! :) Juicing has helped me so much with the inflammation and headaches that I get. I juice a red apple-green apple-pear-4 baby carrots-kale and spinach and most importantly for me, for inflammation....GINGER root-about a nickel size, and I always sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on the top- It's delicious. I have had terrible bouts of gastro-paresis and I believe that juicing has saved me from having to be on the medication that I can't take. When gastro-paresis kicks in, I toss all of my vege juices in the blender and add a little bit of banana and some papaya-but you have to use the green papaya as it is packed more full of the enzymes that can break down foods. I also add about 5 of the papaya seeds as they have the most enzymes. I crave this stuff, but it took a long time to get used to since my stomach rejected it at first. I definitely have to stay away from the citrusy stuff to this day and I had to start out with tiny sips throughout the day and then take a day off. But now I can drink it with no problem.

Also, Rich I wanted to tell you that I got some jelly jars and they are great at keeping your juice air tight. I got them at a hardware store and they were about 75 cents a piece. So great for keeping the juice fresh for a few days. Good post-thanks for sharing.

Also, I had some strange reaction to spirulina twice before, not sure why, but it made me very sick to my stomach. So always be sure to juice things you know you can handle since it is broke down into a molecular form when juicing and can be more intense. I love my blender too-when the fiber is needed!

Green Cheers

I'm making green smoothies too. I couldn't keep up with all the work involved in juicing ...

I just clean and chop my veggies for salad, then use it in my smoothies too. Variety seems

to be really important .. I use about 15 - 20 fruits and veggies a day.

I need avocados and flax in mine to counter the carbs. I just started spirulina last week so i don't know if it's helping yet. I'm only at 1 tsp per day.

Ok.... i've always wanted to stick to a juicing diet..... i started it once a few years back cuz i was sick and always sick obviously...... but i didn't get far with it. I have a juiceman juicer... the biggest one. Is this not a good product to use? And does anyone else in here have any advice, suggestions? Thanks rich for sharing this..... i do think juicing can really benefit us in many ways :)

thanks

tennille

I have been juicing for maybe 6-7 years off and on. It is a pain cleaning most juicers so that's why I had some time off. I'll give you some tips I've learned.

I've had a Juiceman, which was bad. I had a champion juicer which was okay. I had the jack lallanne juice which was good. I had a green star twin juicer which was great and now I have an Omerga VERT juicer which is my favorite by far.

For starters the faster a juicer spins the hotter it gets and that heat can kill the enzymes and vitamins in the juice. The Juiceman and Jack Lalanne juicers spin the fastest so you have to drink that juice within 5 minutes of juicing to get all the nutrients. Ever notice on some store bought juice they are pasteurized (heated to kill bacterial growth) so they have almost no vitamin even if not from concentrate unless they have vitamins added. Jack Lalanne was a good juicer because it was easy to use, had a big funnel feeder and was super easy to clean (could put parts in the dishwasher), it also produced a decent volume of juice, but the pulp was still wet and it was so much better for fruit than veggies (veggies were half wasted). Champion was a solid juicer, it produced a lot of juice, but was a pain to clean and also spins fast to had to drink the juice within 5 minutes. Greenstar twin was the most expensive. It is a slow juicer so you can store the juice for a long time. It produced tons of juice, but was the biggest pain to clean. My Omega VERT is a slow juicer, it's easy to use and easy to clean and produces almost as much juice as the GreenStar.

I've heard of people swearing by Sun Chorella, this red box. It's from Japan. Also I've heard good things about this vegan powder for energy called Vega

I agree with Rich. We have the Omega and from what we researched it's considered a masticating juicer-meaning it breaks it down slow so as to keep the nutrients. We ordered it on line and it was about a third of the price that we found at stores and other places on line. YOu have to really search for the deals. It is a pain to clean, but I'm so used to it, most of the items can be put in the dishwasher. WE also got a vitamix, so EASY to clean also. I do both.

Also, Tenille, I tried just a juicing without anything in my stomach and I got very dizzy. I felt drunk. :D If only! So now I have to juice after I have had a little protein in the morning. I must have hypoglycemia or something. So go easy into it.

I really want a vita mixer, but they are so expensive, maybe one day...

The theory is drinking juice without the pulp is also easier on your digestive system and allows your body to absorb more nutrients. Pulp is healthy so blending and raw veggies are healthy too. Pulp is a great intestinal sweeper. I think Juicing give more energy because my digestive system gets a break while getting tons of nutrients..

Rich, my husband likes the vitamix better than the Omega juicer. I like the juicer. I like the taste better. But I wanted to tell you that we ordered our Vitamix on line used and it came with the same warranty as new. It works great! But I know they are still expensive. We had to forgo all the extra canters and a few more items, but it works the same. Vitamix also refurbishes them before they sell them. I tried wheatgrass and it upset my stomach. Not sure why. Sometimes I have a lot of allergies too, but there are so many great things about wheatgrass. At Wholefoods they sell the shots frozen and you can take them home to put in the freezer. Awesome idea. But wow, they are expensive. I wish I would have thought about it.

If you are into juicing, you should get the book by Kris Carr, She wrote Crazy Sexy Diet. It's a beautiful book with lots of photos and great tips. It's not a diet but just a way of life for her. She is Vegeterian, which is not for me, but there is a plethora of health information in this book that has really got me on the right track. She did the documentary Crazy Sexy Cancer, it's a funny title but she healed herself through juicing. Anyhow, she also has a blog called Crazy Sexy Life and they have so many people on there that talk about juicing all day long. :) And they have every tip you would ever need. Anyhow, get the book if you can, it's a great reference guide for me. I promise you don't have to be a girl to read it. :) I think the title scared my son when I showed it to him and he ended up really liking the book.

i know about Juicing from my mother, she had ovarian cancer and a raw/juicing diet has kept her cancer at bay. She has a twin slow juicer and a seperate wheatgrass juicer. For both juices you want to make sure the pulp is out so I use a strainer to smoothen it further. For wheatgrass this is very very important because people can not digest wheatgrass fiber it is too sharp for our system.

Also it is very very important to start very slow on wheatgrass and work up. First start with 1 oz for 6 weeks and then every 6 weeks increase until 4-5 oz. Also most people see it like a tequila shot and down it quickly, that will make you nausea. It should be sipped slowly like tea and I recommend chewing it in your mouth to warm it up and add some saliva enzymes, it is very healthy for teeth too.

My mother learned her diet from Hippocrates Health institute in Florida http://hippocratesinst.org/ They have been around a long time and the founder was Ann Wigmore, who was the first person to really take advantage of wheatgrass juice.

• 5 months later...

Hello :)

I saw the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and was so inspired by it that I decided to start juicing. I have been juicing (1-2 drinks/day) for about three weeks now. I have been unable to work for over a year now. I am hoping that juicing will help turn things around. Has anyone had DRASTIC results from juicing?

One of the things that I believe kept me going amidst stress and give me energy in spite of my horrible morning intolerance was green smoothies. Like many other things, I need to get back into this habit. After I crashed from all the migraines, I gave up on a number of things that were making my life better, because I didn't have the energy to do much of anything for a while. I'm starting to get back on the up-swing a bit, and I can actually enjoy the foods I used to love without all the fear that I'm causing all the symptoms.

One of the things our herbal business makes is a SuperFood Green Powder (all organic and has spirulina, wheatgrass, barleygrass, etc.) There is a grass-free, allergy friendly formula too. It has gotten some awesome reviews, aside from our own experiences with it, and it definitely boosts energy. The best I have felt in many years was during the period where I was eating large amounts of fresh greens and having smoothies for breakfast. A healthy diet had kept my migraines (that I had often enough in my teens/early 20's) almost completely non-existent. I was still eating well when chronic job/life stress started to interfere with my sleeping and brought the migraines out of hibernation, to become chronic daily migraine. As this progressed, I began to get lax with what was a very healthy diet, and I'm sure it didn't help things. I definitely noticed the fatigue creeping up on me more as the smoothies, and the greens fell out of their prevalent use.

One of my favorite smoothies was a scoop (2T) of the SuperFood, frozen organic mango, preferably fresh pineapple, and a little juice to make it drinkable without being too thick. The pineapple and its bromelain (as well as the other fiber, nutrients, etc.) helped my stubborn digestive system quite a bit. I used to snack on fresh pineapple quite often, too.

As I've been reintroducing favorites from before the storm, I definitely am remembering why I loved them so much. These foods definitely have anti-inflammatory properties and are very nutritionally dense. If I have an underlying inflammation problem, my love of herbs and spices and vegetables definitely has helped mask it somewhat. If there is a nutritional deficiency at work, or a mitochondrial problem, likewise my habits certainly have had a positive effect on energy, as well as attitude. When all other things seem out of my hands at times, this is something *I* can control, that does have a beneficial effect on my life.

In some ways, I do wonder if these issues were creeping along in the background for a while, if I had put them into submission with my lifestyle choices, and if the massive amount of stress from my mess of a life as a whole brought me crashing down and brought out all the symptoms with a vengeance.

This much I do know - I have seen the marked effects that a positive diet can bring to a bad situation. Greens, smoothies, and juicing come highly recommended. :)