Terrible Insomnia

caroline

I have been feeling pretty well lately but am suffering from debilitating insomnia. I wondwr if others have it and if they have found solutions. I know i am anxious--preparing to move--but i don't think anxiety is thesole cause of the problem. I took Ambien for over a year after coming down with my OI. I weaned myself off it about three months ago and was sleeping okay till recently. Now no matter when i go to sleep i wake up 4-5 hours later and can't get back to sleep again. Dayrime napping doesnt work for me. I am afraid the loss of sleep is making me sicker. I will appreciate hearing about your

experiences and any suggestions you may have.

Many thanks--Caroline

I started ambien in October and have found it very helpful but am only taking 2.5 mg. Doc at Mayo in Scottsdale who put me on it didn't seem to think it would be a problem long term but we'll see. I do think you can get "accommodation" in your body with it, so I think it's recommended to use it something like 2 days on, then one day off to prevent that.

I think the not sleeping is a huge issue as far as making symptoms worse. But sleeping better didn't make everything better like I was hoping it would. ;)

I was not sleeping well at all, in fact most of the time I would be up for hours in the middle of the night...yes, this takes it's toll after many years, and it will make your symptoms worse. Have you had Sleep studies done? 30% of people with Dysautonomia have sleep apnea, I was tested and do have it. I'm on a Cpap (continuous positive airway pressure) machine, and take Klonopin .5mg, and sleep so much better!! I also have ambien if I need it. Only taken this a few times. It will make all the difference in the world to get treatment for this. I still have dysautonomia, but it helps immensely :) . It's changed my life!!

I totally agree with kimbellgirl Sleep will make all the difference in the world. When I was only sleeping 3-4 hrs at nite then napping on and off all day, I was completely spaced out all of the time. Now I can definately function much better. The magnesium citrate will help with sleep but also lowers BP, so if you have low BP, be careful. Otherwise, Magnesium is wonderful for so many things. I too had sleep apnea prior to my POTS dx. Had a UP3 ( tonsillectomy, uvula removed and pallot shaved) and no more sleep apnea for me. I believe, as do my dr's that the sleep apnea was due to my large tonsils. I do not snore at all now :) Definately worth having a sleep study

liz

If after you have a sleep study and you still have problems, I have one daughter who takes trazadone (for migraines and sleep). My younger daughter has horrible insomnia. I read an article someone had written on a Dinet newsletter as a cure for her insomnia. The writer had used Baclofen, which is typically used for MS. After doing some research on the drug, my daughter's neurologist said it was ok to try. For the first time in YEARS....my daughter is finally sleeping through the night. Thanks to the person who wrote that article!

I know this sounds crazy, but what I do to sleep is exercise. I found that it was my adrenal gland that was running high. I get up at 1:00 a.m. and can't get back to sleep until 3 or 4 in the morning. Now when this happens if I can't get back to sleep in a half hour I get up and put on my dance shoes and dance for twenty minutes. It drains my adrenal and I'm back to sleep in no time at all and I sleep until 7. I maybe crazy but it has worked wonders for me.

Maggie