Swelling

kalamazoo

I wake up with very swollen feet and hands, its very painful. Immediately after gwtting out of bed and standing my feet turn bright red and all the blood starts pooling really bad. Also, my hands are very swollen as well and I can barely make a fist. Once I'm up and moving for a littlw it goes away but its very uncomfortable. Does anyone else have this? I'm worried its not the POTS but maybe something else....

I have the same. One reason I think is that even though I turn down heat and use ceiling fan, it's warm under the blankets the hubby (and me off and on thru the night) need. Secondly, I'm more of a side sleeper (with a little on stomach) but arms are up when I'm on my stomach (around my face/pillow) and closed against the body when on side. Heat and laying on extemeties will trap the fluids. I try (since I'm a light sleeper) to make every effort to keep my hands straight rather than curled when I sleep. I have osteoarthritis and find my hands/fingers/feet very painful in the morning but as you say, in osteoarthritis it usually wears off in a few hours. My rings are snug on my fingers when I first get up, but after I'm up, the fit is usually back to normal. Since I side/stomach sleep, the eyelids will be puffier in the mornings, too from the pull of gravity while reclining so many hours.

It was suggested that I take calcium channel blockers for my raynauds/pernio issues in my feet, but they the doc realized it would only worsen my OI. It sounds like you already have excessive blood flow in your extremities, so I wonder why the doc thought a calcium channel blocker would be helpful?

My personal theory is that it takes awhile for my body to vasoconstrict normally in response to being upright. Many folks here have their worst OH first thing in the morning. Can you take your time getting upright? I like to have the house pretty cool in the morning and I expose my legs to the cool air for awhile to facilitate some vasoconstriction. Sometimes I put my compression on before I get up too. Another thing that has helped with vasoconstriction is spraying cool water on my feet and lower legs, and even placing them in front of a fan before I get up. For me, the compression hose can be helpful because they tend to soak up the water from the spray bottle and keep my legs cooler.

As stupid as this sounds, its so hard for me to change me daily routine any more than I've already had to because of thos disease. Any time I change it just a little more it makes me so frustrated. My day revolves around, therefor my life does. It's so frustrating! I guess I need to finally give in and try these tips. I miss wearing my rings but can't because my hands are too swollen. Thanks ladies, glad to know I'm not alone in this symptom.

HI! My hands are always freezing all day long... but i to have the swollen hands that are red when i wake up in the am. My hands feel like they are going to explode like my skin is so tight.... My joints in my hands also are extremely painful while my hands are swollen... I dont know what to do about it, nothing has helped. It is only my hands not my feet or anywhere else.