What Is The Best Vitamin D I Can Take

Darlene

i am still on prescription d. but the gel caps or gummies are more easily tollerated than the tabs. might want to try that out and ask your doc to do a vite screen on you.

Don't forget about sunlight. The body naturally makes vitamin D in response to sunlight exposure. When I'm having a rough patch, its sometimes difficult to drag my butt out of bed let alone outside but I usually feel better afterwards.

I took the prescription gelcaps for a few months, it was a once a week pill...after that my levels were tested and went up to a normal level so the doctor told me I was fine. A year later I went back and my level were even lower than the first time, I was prescribed the gelcaps again and along with that told to make over the counter vitamin D and K. I take the viactive chews, after a few days of taking them I got used to them and now I think they actually taste like chocolate. I am not sure what is caltrate is a pill or a chew but if you can tolerate them I recommend viactive.

I took the Rx vitamin D as well and then a D-3 1000 iu every day (plus got a little vitamin D in my Calcium Citrate and diet). Re-checks have been in normal range ever since. That being said, as you get older, body (gut?--cannot recall right now) does not process the vitamin D from sunlight anymore (or at least to same degree as when younger). In addition, I find that if I cannot wear pierced earrings that are not sterling silver or gold without the earlobes getting very red, angry looking, painful, swollen and draining. My immunologist/allergist told me that it is because I am sensitive to nickel. Many vitamins/supplements contain a minute amount of nickel and she says that ingesting the nickel does the same thing to the GI track as it does to my earlobes (wearing costume jewelry). She tells me to throw away all vitamins/supplements and go with only a nickel free muliple vitamin. I found 1 A Day makes nickel free and has a 50+ (for women/for me) and where we shop at Kroger's, it makes a generic version. It has 1000 iu of vitamin D in it. She tells me to get the rest in diet and sunlight but I remind her about aging gut absorption issues with vitamin D from sunlight and of the fact that on my medication, I have to avoid sunlight, and wear sunscreen. I just thought I would mention this since we are all different. Bottom line--I just have my PCP check on things from time to time.

the best vitamin D is made by the skin in response to sunlight on bare skin (ie no fabric or sunscreen on arms, face etc). the body makes 90% of its vitamin D in response to sunlight hitting the skin so it'll improve a deficiency far quicker than oral medications. theres also a lot of vitamin D in egg yolk and oily fish.

:) the body always absorbs food items a little better than artificially created substances.

i have a Vitamin D deficiency cos i have a mild sunlight allergy and not able to get enough sunlight to make sufficient vitamin D. I also have tons of gastrointestinal problems and i have lot of problems with vitamin malapsorbtion so dont get any from my diet. even though i take a medical multivitamin and drink ensure drinks that are fortified- my levels dropped to 7nmol/L (they should be at least 50nmol/L). so i have to take even more orally and now take Kalcipos-D which seems to be working well. in my area the liquid and injection versions are not available in my areas but the doctor said the injection is probably the best one as i dont need to absorb it through my intestine. but if this method is available it may work better than oral medications.

:)

many vitamin D tablets contain calcium and i picked Kacipos-D cos it had the lowest amount of calcuim. excess calcuim in the blood can cause problems and has some pretty horrid symptoms (inc fatigue & lethargy, nausea, vomiting & diarrhoea, irregular heart rate, low blood pressure, confusion and fits),, and as i already have a calcuim rich diet, with calcuim in my ensure drinks and medical multivitamins i'm playing it safe

;) . i already have a huge calcium intake so i'm at risk of this, but if you're intake is low or normal then you're at low risk taking in too much calcuim with your vit D tablets, unless you're unlucky. but its worth saying it anyway, just in case anyone is having some odd symptoms that have no obvious cause ;)

fi