Alkaloids, Nightshade, And The Nervous System

One of my friends was discussing using atropine on a patient in the hospital. While researching it I found.this: (not highly academic and could have overstated plant classifications but still an interesting concept nonetheless.) http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62

The patient was having severe heart problems and they were basically waiting for him to code. The effects of it are what I find interesting as far its ability to influence the nervous system/heart.

I have a Belladonna Alk script for my GI flares that include severe abdominal pain and cramping. Usually when I have these attacks, I also have bad adrenaline surges (not surprising given the pain). The script is written for 1 pill every 8 hrs as needed. If I take 1 it usually lasts me for 24 hrs and ALL of my symptoms feel better. I don't feel high or sedated from it, just normal. It's actually the only one of my meds that makes me feel like a normal person. But, it is habit forming so I try to only take it when absolutely needed.