Any Hyper-Poties See These Guys?

firewatcher

I have a special interest since my nephrologist says that POTS probably caused my kidney issues...

I'd love feedback on the quality of these docs if anyone has seen them:

Cardiorenal Med. 2011;1(2):113-122. Epub 2011 Apr 15.

An Emerging Role for Understanding Orthostatic Hyp'er'tension in the Cardiorenal Syndrome.

Buddineni JP, Chauhan L, Ahsan ST, Whaley-Connell A.

Source

Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine, Columbia Mo., USA.

Abstract

Orthostatic hypertension (OHT) is a clinically important problem increasingly recognized in persons with borderline hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and autonomic neuropathies, and in the elderly. Moreover, the association of OHT with progression of target end-organ damage, especially coronary heart disease and chronic kidney disease (CKD), and the attendant increased cardiovascular disease (CVD) and CKD risk, is gaining attention but is still underappreciated. There are various mechanisms that contribute to the development of OHT: excessive vascular adrenergic sensitivity, baroreceptor reflex abnormalities, and inappropriate activation of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, which are also mechanisms that lead to cardiorenal metabolic disease (CRS). While the evidence is compelling for the clinical importance of OHT, more investigation is needed to evaluate the effects of OHT on CKD and CVD. The notion that the development of OHT is a risk factor for the development of CRS raises the need for further clinical and investigational attention to this clinical dilemma. PMID: 22258398 [PubMed] PMCID: PMC3101511

Jennifer-

I HATE that your docs are so cavalier about end-organ damage :angry: to your kidneys. You are such a young woman to be dealing with that. IF POTS or OHT is to blame; for goodness sake, isn't there some way to better treat or control it? Why don't you write a concise synopsis of your condition & E-mail it to ALL of these docs to see if they will see you or have treatment options that you could explore?

Julie