Garbanzo Beans/chickpeas

I realized last night that during my first undiagnosed pots flare up, i started eating a lot of garbanzo beans. There was just something in them that i craved. I had some last night and within 20 minutes was bouncing around the house not even thinking about pots. It was shortlived but i am definitely going to incorporate this into my diet again. I looked up the nutrition online last night and they are full of all kinds of good minerals like phosphorus,manganese, potassium, magnesium etc.

Yeah, I have learned that taking magnesium supplements (aside from my MCAD meds) is the single most helpful thing I take. It has helped control my POTS and improved my vasospasms tremendously. I usually end up hospitalized with Reynauds in the winter- with magnesium, so far all of my digits are pink!!! Good stuff (but big chalky pills- hard to swallow :blink: ) Hummus is a whole lot yummier :D

Yeah, I have learned that taking magnesium supplements (aside from my MCAD meds) is the single most helpful thing I take. It has helped control my POTS and improved my vasospasms tremendously. I usually end up hospitalized with Reynauds in the winter- with magnesium, so far all of my digits are pink!!! Good stuff (but big chalky pills- hard to swallow :blink: ) Hummus is a whole lot yummier :D

Hi Julie

What does a vasospasm feel like? It sounds scary! Good to hear the Mg is working for you.

Just bought a big pack of pumpkin seeds to get my hit! :)

There could be a logical explanation for this. Garbanzo beans are rich in molybdenum.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?dbid=58&tname=foodspice

Molyb. is a cofactor for the enzyme xanthine oxidase which according to one study, "These results suggest that xanthine oxidase accounts for a putative source of oxyradical generation that is associated with an increasing arteriolar microvascular tone in this form of hypertension."

I have spent 8 years trying to work out why some foods can set off POTS and others improve it. I can never seem to find a hard and fast rule. A guy from Norway told me to eat lots of onions. Seemed to help for a while but soon I felt worse. Another lady told me to eat soup made from silverbeet every night and again I thought it seemed to help heaps but then I crashed. Ive even tried the low NO and high NO diets, etc.

Im glad youve found something that seems to help. Go for it!

Aaron for me a vasospasm is when my fingers and toes turn dark blue/purple/black. The blood supply to them is completely shut off no matter what i do. I have even tried sipping wine in a super hot bath tub- actually prescribed by my vascular surgeon :D -and NOTHING has worked as well as daily magnesium.

Beggiatoa, I seem to get the same effect from the magnesium, itself. Good stuff as i can't tolerate any traditional Reynauds treatment.

Julie