My Morning Cocktail And Your Favorite Way To Get Salt

My morning cocktail is:

High ball glass with a heavily salted rim (with organic sea salt)

8oz of V8

it gives me almost 1 gram of salt first thing in the morn.

I was just drinking my my morning cocktail and wondered what tips, tricks and ideas you have for getting salt in. My goal is to get 6-7 grams a day. I've tried the salt tabs but have difficulty taking them. Would love to hear what you do.

I have recently found that Progresso French Onion Soup and also their Tomato Basil soup are really good for me. They don't have any bad preservatives but have plenty of salt. Each can is technically 2 servings but I usually use a whole can for lunch. That gives over one gram of sodium for a whole can. If I need an afternoon pick me up because I am feeling bad but already had lunch, I will use half a can and just drink it out of a mug. There are also other flavors that are good for a sodium boost but they are chunkier, so not as easy to have in a mug. I also will sprinkle salt on an open faced peanut butter sandwich (with whole grain bread) for breakfast to get my salt, complex carbs, and protein.

have anyone ever tried peanut butter and pickles? I LOVE it, even thought it sounds strange.

I've eaten it for years and not long ago I convinced my mom to try it. Her first few bites these was making all these facing but by the end of her sandwich she was like "this is really good" the next day she had another and it's becoming a staple for her too :)

Well, my favorite way is chocolate covered carmels with sea salt on top but that's probably not a significant amount. :) I also eat pickles and just add a bunch of salt to my food.

i hate bananas - I'm game...what flavor of pickles with the peanut butter?? Dill??

rama - I agre about a lot of us probably needing the Florinef. I still will not retain fluid when I am in a really bad flare, but, before the Florinef I could drink all day long and it all came out and I was just as thirsty as ever. While the Florinef hasn't made it perfect, it's much better.

I'm a weird one - I've always liked eating straight salt ever since childhood (we didn't salt food much when I was a kid, and don't salt a lot these days, maybe that's why) - I even wanted a salt lick for my birthday and use to use the horses' salt licks at camp! Weirdo. Nowadays to get 4.5g of salt in my day I just take 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt with each meal. I just do a lick of salt (out of my hand, yes I'm shameless) and then a sip of water so it makes salt water in my mouth. Helps me with nausea too, but I know some folks on here have nausea from eating straight salt. Guess I'm weird :P

I'm a weird one - I've always liked eating straight salt ever since childhood (we didn't salt food much when I was a kid, and don't salt a lot these days, maybe that's why) - I even wanted a salt lick for my birthday and use to use the horses' salt licks at camp! Weirdo. Nowadays to get 4.5g of salt in my day I just take 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt with each meal. I just do a lick of salt (out of my hand, yes I'm shameless) and then a sip of water so it makes salt water in my mouth. Helps me with nausea too, but I know some folks on here have nausea from eating straight salt. Guess I'm weird :P

lol I like salt straight! And make salt shots (small amount of water and lots of salt).

Many of us with dysautonomia grew up in households with parents that had high blood pressure and who limited salt intake. I grew up thinking salt was 'bad' for you and avoided it as well. I still don't like to salt my food, but I like foods that are salty or taking drinking salt and water.

I don't think you are weird at all, roflol BUT I have been caught drinking salt water during a long meeting and they thought I was a freak. I can live with that :)

Hi w_d_l_s_,

Love your comment. Because I grew up in a 'low sodium' household too, and then married a hypertensive guy. So when my doctor found out I had NEVER added salt to my diet, you should have seen his face. And mine too because I realized I could have been feeling better a long time ago. And I was just trying to eat healthfully...go figure.