My heart rate

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew if my heart rate while exercising was normal. I was running and would be around 185-190 and jumping to 200 every so often. I have been diagnosed with POTS and I think exercise is beneficial to me when I am not feeling so bad. I'm 16 by the way. I am just afraid my heart may be overworking. Also can anyone tell me if they have ever woken up and had horrible chest pains that last for an hour to hour and a half. This occured over the summer and just last week. I hope it's just gas or something. Thanks give me some responses.

Hi Rubberarm

Welcome. Regarding your exercising heart rate, you may want to look at this recent discussion on this topic. To reassure you, the heartrate you describe is not dangerous for an otherwise healthy heart.

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=1828

Kudos to you for exercising when you can--it will help you improve in the long run.

Chest pain--this is a typical POTS symptom. When you were diagnosed with POTS did you have a pretty good cardiac work up? Holter monitor, event monitor, echo, EKG? If all these came back normal, then you are very likely fine. If it continues, you should check with your doctor--you're right that there are a variety of causes for chest pain.

Keep up with your fluids and salt--that could help to keep your heartrate down during exercise/in general. Many POTS patients find low dose beta blockers helpful.

Again, welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask any questions you need to!

Katherine

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew if my heart rate while exercising was normal.  I was running and would be around 185-190 and jumping to 200 every so often.

Do you know what your maximum heart rate is?

I forget the range, but I think it's usually around 200bpm.

Really your actual rate will depend on how hard you're working out. Going over 185bpm is probably past your lactate threshold.... for how long can you run at over 185bpm?

I dont knnow, but I think if your heart rate was really over working, you should know about it by losing energy, going out of breath, not being able to run as fast, etc...

I've never really gotten chest pains like that, in the morning and so painful... though for years I have had periodic chest pain (stinging). For me it's all from acid reflux/heart burn er whatever. It had me slightly nervous for a little while, but then I had my cardio checked and found it was only heart burn.