Examining The Gut And Dysautonomia

Dizzysillyak

This caught my attention today and I didn't want to lose it. It was in the body mass index poll thread ...

Mack's Mom wrote ... ( I hope you don't mind me copying this).

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

Miss Patient 20-

You say that you believe your GI woes are connected to your dysautonomia. I'm sure they are. Do your doctors doubt that? The medical literature is pretty conclusive. Your symptoms of delayed GI functioning and constipation are pretty classic for nerve damage in the GI tract. GI symptoms were huge for my son when he first became ill. It was very scary. He was 5'8" at the time and a mere 100lbs.

The doctors at Johns Hopkins actually performed an antroduodenal manometry test while he was on the tilt table. Sure enough, at the point he fainted, he also vomited. The testing was able to prove, not only delayed movement in the Gi tract, but retrograde movement associated with autonomic irregularities.

Are you treating your slow GI tract? There are some effective GI prokinetics out there that can make a world of difference. My son is still unable to eat without them. Many also need to take something for GERD and constipation. If the food dams up anywhere in the GI tract, severe symptoms will follow.

I'm going to google this in a second ...

owie ...

http://www.childrens...geS2002P39.html

Here's more from that thread ... I'm a celiac so this is interesting ... I hope you dont mind ...

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

snapback.pngsue1234, on 28 October 2010 - 09:03 PM, said:

Mack's Mom--sorry if I asked this before, but has Mack gone on a gluten-free trial for many months? When you mentioned small intestine nerve damage, I know that is THE spot for gluten damage.

Hi Sue-

No, but great minds think alike biggrin.gif , he's been tested for celiac many times. Through a careful history,Dr. Rowe at Hopkins discovered the milk protein hypersensitivity despite the fact that all testing & even biopsies show no true allergy. Could be the same with gluten???? I must say bread I'd be surprised if there was a problem as bread is Mack's "go-to" safe food. Even when he was very sick, a piece of baguette was sometimes all he would eat. Still wouldn't hurt to try a trial period without. Thanks for the thought.

Julie

In the body mass thread, I added that I've been gf for over 6 years now but still have to lay down after eating in order for my food to digest. If I don't lay down it feels like I have rocks in my gut and I get horrible brain fog.

And that eating too much meat at one sitting makes this 10 x times worse ...

also, my go to food was gluten up until it started causing constant diarhea and gut pain. I wonder why it calmed my digestive tract at one point and then literally tore it up later ... I'm a DQ2 (celiac gene) so I never should've eaten gluten.

FYI ... my internet is a pain so I'm not sure how long I'll have the patience to deal with typing this today ...