Costochondritis

LindaJoy

Hi, everyone.

A couple of weeks ago, I ended up in the ER with chest pain. My heart doctor was called and I was put through the basic heart tests: blood tests, x-rays, EKG's, stress test, echo. All normal. I was sent home, then two days later, the pain was much worse, so my heart doctor sent me to OSU for evaluation (mainly because he thought my mast cell issue was causing my heart to be affected and needed help should that be the situation).

Well, all concerned said my heart was fine, but I'm still having the pain, so I got on-line and found information on costochondritis. This sounds like what I'm having. A number of years ago, my endo said I had some autoimmune disorder that was causing me chest pain then. I don't remember if it was costo or not, but I've had this on and off for years.

For those of you who have costo, could I ask you a few questions?

--Is your costo ever triggered by GERD?

--As I was walking my stress test, I got a spot of severe pain on my right side rib area. Is costo triggered by exercise?

--When I push on my rib cage, upper chest, right in the middle, the pain gets worse, and even worse still when I push on either side of the rib cage, on my ribs. This shows costo, right?

--Can costo pain feel like burning, like reflux?

--My pain can go to my back and shoulders. Anyone else?

I've read some on costo, but there's really nothing like talking with others who have this. Oh, and I've read what can cause costo, and I don't have any of the "typical" things. I have been diagnosed with benign EDS, so can that be the cause of costo in me? Mine seems to come with my mast cell reactions and GERD. Anyone else?

After all this time, I finally have a mast cell diagnosis, along with AI and POTS. But, the chest pain doesn't fit into any of these diagnosis completely, and I'm trying to figure it out, as are my docs.

Thanks, everyone.

Lindajoy

When I was at my worst bout 1.5yr ago and still chasing my diagnosis I got Costocondritis....severe and suddenly! I dont think i have ever experienced so much pain :o !! Couldnt move in bed for about 5 days. The back and shoulder tip pain came a bit later as it improved but couldnt breath with the agony of it.

Now i know I have POTS im assuming its in some way related cos its something which seems to crop up now and again here.

Im still chasing further diagnosis to see if there is anything Triggering POTS or is it just on its own (i suspect not!) so I really dont know where the Costocondritis would fit in in terms of conditions!

I had that pretty bad when I was 17. I would describe it as a sharp burning pain in my left rib area. The doc said it was common in young women. I had it for about six months and then it went away on its own. I'm not sure the cause I just know its inflammation. I also noticed no triggers it would just come on suddenly in the afternoon everyday but it hurt bad!

When I first experienced some bad chest pain and described it on the internet someone there told me that it sounded like costochondritis.

From what some of you are describing mine sounded like a mild to moderate case.

This is where it gets weird.

At least two other young people at work got it at the same time I did.

Could it have been a virus causing it?

One was only 19-20 the other girl in her 30's.

They Both went to ER thinking they were having heart attacks and got diagnosed right away.

I swear it had to have been something in the air that year.

--Is your costo ever triggered by GERD?

Hard to say - I have chest pain daily, i suspect there are 3 sources. Gerd, muscular/EDS chest pain, and genuine POTS cardiac pain

--As I was walking my stress test, I got a spot of severe pain on my right side rib area. Is costo triggered by exercise?

Yes - I had chest pain on my stress test to. I have created clicking ribs/sternum through exercise/EDS. In EDS there is something called amplification where you are more prone to feel muscular/joint pain

--When I push on my rib cage, upper chest, right in the middle, the pain gets worse, and even worse still when I push on either side of the rib cage, on my ribs. This shows costo, right

I can always push my rib cage somewhere and feel pain but upper left is more painful for me. My sternum clicks, but it doesn't hurt to press there

--Can costo pain feel like burning, like reflux?

my chest pain feels different all the time! never crushing or radiating as per angina though

--My pain can go to my back and shoulders. Anyone else?

yes - have had pain in my shoulder and upper back

Costo doesn't mean anything by the way, in that it just a name given to describe non cardiac chest pain originating from muscle/bone as opposed to true angina for example. The cause of your costo if you have hyper mobility EDS would be the actual EDS, and perhaps some strain to your muscles/bone.

Aaron

• 9 years later...
On 1/28/2012 at 7:11 AM, lieze said:

When I first experienced some bad chest pain and described it on the internet someone there told me that it sounded like costochondritis.

From what some of you are describing mine sounded like a mild to moderate case.

This is where it gets weird.

At least two other young people at work got it at the same time I did.

Could it have been a virus causing it?

One was only 19-20 the other girl in her 30's.

They Both went to ER thinking they were having heart attacks and got diagnosed right away.

I swear it had to have been something in the air that year.

There could have been some toxic mold in the workplace triggering you.