Explaining Pots/dysautonomia To A New So?

Elfie

I'm not exactly sure where this belongs, and I am sure there are other threads on this topic.

Still, I'm nervous! I don't have a lot of experience with this and haven't gotten my own family sufficiently interested and educated. My ICE doesn't know what meds I take or much about POTS/dysautonomia.

I've been seeing a new guy. The first guy since I've been diagnosed. I was in a very serious relationship (engaged) when I was diagnosed and it didn't survive very long after we figured out what was going on. He wasn't a very nice guy when stressed, but adjustment to POTS is the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've been single for 2-and-a-half years.

This new guy knows I have dysautonomia and actually understands some of the mechanisms at work. However, we haven't really gone beyond that "funny places I've fainted" and "please don't perform a sternal rub or call an ambulance if I faint in your presence" conversation.

However, I recently had a near-fainting episode while I was with him, and he asked if we could have "the talk" about my condition.

Any advice?

He's an intelligent, technical guy and I am a very open person and fairly active POTS patient -- but this is still nerve-wracking.