I've Finally Found Something That Helps

julieph85

The worst symptom of pots I've been struggling with this year is this horrible catecholamine reaction after I eat in the morning and afternoons. I will get ice cold hands, tachycardia, and a bad jittery anxious feeling for up to 2 hours after eating anything with carbs. It is some sort of strange adrenaline response to carbohydrates only. And it only happens in the morning and early afternoon. For the later week I have cut out carbs completely before 1 pm. I'm so happy to report it has helped tremendously! Not only can I eat non carb foods without this reaction but it helps my overall pots symptoms for the entire day. The question is why do I have such a bad adrenaline response to carbs and only in the early part of the day? It's definitely not blood flow or hypovolemia. Sounds endocrine to me.

Hey Julie-

Not sure if this relates, but I remember reading about it yesterday in a link that Claire provided about histamine's role in the body:

"The carbohydrate digesting enyme Amylase is a natural IgG histamine blocker, which stabilizes mast cells and basophils that release histamine at the start of an inflammatory response. The excessive consumption of carbohydrates will chronically deplete amylase thereby increasing histamine-related health problems such as allergen reactions and sinus headaches. Relief can be achieved through using plant-based enzymes with meals, as well as reducing carbohydrate consumption. Chronic carbohydrate consumption creates stress which exhausts the adrenal glands and the immune system, leaving the body open to attack. Enzymes normally break down allergens into smaller components in order to eliminate it without stressing the body. But in the case of allergic symptoms--when there are inadequate enzymes reserves in the body histamine is released rather than enzymatic breakdown of the allergens."

http://biologyofkund...story=Histamine

I feel better with a high protein diet too :rolleyes:

Julie

I've been having this for years. Mine is directly related to the insulin output in relation to the glucose(carbs). Also, I then get the plummeting blood sugar related to the excess insulin. Once it plummets below 70, there are four four hormones that are released to help the body get the glucose levels back up:

--adrenaline(BTW, people with a pheo tumor(high adrenaline) are known to have lowered plasma volumes)

--glucagon

--cortisol(BTW, people with Cushing's disease(high cortisol) are known to have lowered plasma volumes)

--growth hormone

This is why I am going to Mayo to have them figure out my low blood sugar issues. Because I fight hypoglycemia a few times a week, for years, I want to have that fixed so that I can get rid of those counter-regulatory hormones. If I can get rid of them, then I'll see if maybe my volume comes back up to help with the POTS stuff.

I have tried the low/no carb, and I lose any energy I may have had. It's like if I go ahead and consume some carbs, my brain works better. If I don't have hardly any, I spend my days in a half-stupor.

I read an article that said in healthy people there is always an adrenaline release after ingesting carbohydrates. It also said it is far greater in the mornings and afternoons. I have a feeling that I am hyper sensitive to catecholamines for some reason ( probably will turn out to be thyroid in the end) so I am over sensitive to the normal release of norepinephrine after eating. Maybe due to a NET deficiency?

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/90/11/6198.full

I've been having this for years. Mine is directly related to the insulin output in relation to the glucose(carbs). Also, I then get the plummeting blood sugar related to the excess insulin. Once it plummets below 70, there are four four hormones that are released to help the body get the glucose levels back up:

--adrenaline(BTW, people with a pheo tumor(high adrenaline) are known to have lowered plasma volumes)

--glucagon

--cortisol(BTW, people with Cushing's disease(high cortisol) are known to have lowered plasma volumes)

--growth hormone

This is why I am going to Mayo to have them figure out my low blood sugar issues. Because I fight hypoglycemia a few times a week, for years, I want to have that fixed so that I can get rid of those counter-regulatory hormones. If I can get rid of them, then I'll see if maybe my volume comes back up to help with the POTS stuff.

I have tried the low/no carb, and I lose any energy I may have had. It's like if I go ahead and consume some carbs, my brain works better. If I don't have hardly any, I spend my days in a half-stupor.

Exactly! It's been wonderful not having the Adrenaline response but I definitely only feel half alive!

Hmm I can't seem to tolerate any plants in general.

I've worried so much because most of my foods are proteins but maybe that is okay.

I feel much better on this diet than I did before.

But my worry was not enough carbs too much protein and the affect that would have on my kidneys etc.

Maybe that is why I get the reactions even after eating my safe carbs at times with the relation to histamine.

I guess this makes me think I need to stop worrying so much about carbs and just eat what I can.

Hey Julie-

Not sure if this relates, but I remember reading about it yesterday in a link that Claire provided about histamine's role in the body:

"The carbohydrate digesting enyme Amylase is a natural IgG histamine blocker, which stabilizes mast cells and basophils that release histamine at the start of an inflammatory response. The excessive consumption of carbohydrates will chronically deplete amylase thereby increasing histamine-related health problems such as allergen reactions and sinus headaches. Relief can be achieved through using plant-based enzymes with meals, as well as reducing carbohydrate consumption. Chronic carbohydrate consumption creates stress which exhausts the adrenal glands and the immune system, leaving the body open to attack. Enzymes normally break down allergens into smaller components in order to eliminate it without stressing the body. But in the case of allergic symptoms--when there are inadequate enzymes reserves in the body histamine is released rather than enzymatic breakdown of the allergens."

http://biologyofkund...story=Histamine

I feel better with a high protein diet too :rolleyes:

Julie

Julie - Excellent info as always! :) I suspect my recent groginess/cognitive decline is due to refined carb and histamine response

I have this too due to hyperinsulinemia. A gtt + insulin proved this. I find that if I eat limitted sugars

and carbs, I'm ok. I need this for energy and brain function.

But if I eat too much, the next couple of days i still feel horrible

if I eat even a little sugar or carbs. I overdosed on dates yesterday and I'm feeling horrible

from eating a small amount of blueberries today. It's like my body is frantically overproducing insulin

in response to tiny amounts of sugar.

I don't think it's affecting my oh or pots tho. I just finished doing 5 loads of clothes.

I was wondering if there's a protein digestion link. I can calm the horrible feeling if I eat meat. Just

meat tho, other protein source don't help.

I want to try some pancreatic enzymes, trypsin, etc, to see if they help .. The other digestive enzymes don't. Tc .. D

I read an article that said in healthy people there is always an adrenaline release after ingesting carbohydrates. It also said it is far greater in the mornings and afternoons. I have a feeling that I am hyper sensitive to catecholamines for some reason ( probably will turn out to be thyroid in the end) so I am over sensitive to the normal release of norepinephrine after eating. Maybe due to a NET deficiency?

http://jcem.endojour...90/11/6198.full

I think this is my problem--either a heightened sensitivity to normal adrenaline release, or excessive adrenaline release to normal bodily functions. I have the same reaction you are describing. I need high protein meals in the AM to reduce POTS symptoms. Late in the day I can eat carbs.

Momtogulliana, considering you and I both got it in pregnancy and now this similarity, I'm pretty sure we have the same disease :) not to mention we live pretty close which is also weird... I know I've asked you before but what treatments have helped your pots?

I'm confused. My reaction to too many carbs is the same sick feeling I've always gotten from eating too

much sugar even as a kid. Post hallowen comes to mind .. A little shakey with a slight urge to barf.

An adrenaline overdose makes me feel shakey, hyper, riled up and ready to pounce. It's not the

same except for the shakey part.

I would feel the adrenaline surge if I ate too many gf goodies tho. Sugar and gluten are a bad combo

for me.

I noticed amylase was mentioned. Is that a pancreatic enzyme ?

I have thyroid antibodies too. I'm not sure if it's hashimotos tho.

Congrats on figuring this out. : ) .. Tc .. D

I just looked. It's tpo. She says it's due to my leaky gut and gluten. So far when this is up so are my eosinophils (i just looked and these were ok in dec)

and my gluten antibodies. I.m on a mostly paleo diet but every once in awhile I cheat and eat

a gf goodie. I finally learned that I can't do that even. My gluten antibodies were really high on

my last stool test. If the gluten cc is coming from supplements it's going to be harder for

me to find and stop it.

My tpo was 2600 once and 400 on the last test in dec. Also, in dec, my thyroxine was 7.8, thyroxine free

was 1.10, t3 free was 2.3, and tsh was 2.35. I didn't do well when I tried synthroid or armour years ago.

Have you had your antibodis tested yet ?

I have mine are always negative. Was it an endocrinologist telling you not to worry about the tpo? I have read that tpo can be positive before the hashi effects the thyroid function but it eventually will. I would at least keep an eye on it and talk to an endo if you haven't already.

That's great that you don't have tpo. I haven't seen an endo yet. My doc is an integrative doc so she handles

most of my health issues. It's not that she didn't tell me not to worry about this, we just have too many

other issues to address at each visit. I don't handle meds well and I'm a bit of a mess .. Lol .. D

Eta .. Have you had a gtt + insulin yet ? Sue and I both have hyperinsulinemia.

Momtogulliana, considering you and I both got it in pregnancy and now this similarity, I'm pretty sure we have the same disease :) not to mention we live pretty close which is also weird... I know I've asked you before but what treatments have helped your pots?

Yes, it struck me too that you experience this with carbs. Are you in MD too?

low dose SSRI really seemed to help me. I took for a couple of years once diagnosed. I still use a beta blocker when symptoms warrant (low dose). Salt and fluids help (and I think you said salt is not that helpful to you). Otherwise, it seems time has been the greatest healer. Overall I get better each year since pregnancy.