Does Your Weight Effect Your Symptoms?

Allene

I was curious about how weight could effect the symptoms of everything that falls under the dysautonomia umbrella, but particularly POTS (which I think is the subset I have).

I've noticed that if I lose weight, my symptoms get worse, and if I gain weight they get better. I can't tell if that's just coincidence or what.

I've always been somewhat heavy, though I don't look as heavy as I am. I've been told by more than one health professional that my muscle content is roughly 40% higher than that of an average woman my height, leading me to weigh considerably more without necessarily being fat. At 13 I weighed about 170lb. I was in really good shape, and my size was comparable to my much lighter classmates. It was at 13 when I started first experiencing fainting and fatigue and such. I was really active until I hit high school, and then schoolwork got in the way of exercise and I started gaining weight. I slowly but steadily gained until I was about 210lb, and I didn't seem to have any problems with dysautonomia, save for a brief period when I was 18 when I managed to lose some. I stepped on the scale at 210, and was horrified. I modified my diet and started getting a little more active. In the winter of 2010-2011 I lost about 40 lb, and in January of last year I was at 170lb again. Unfortunately, through the weightloss process, my faintness and fatigue and everything slowly crept up on me until the point where I was using a wheelchair to go places outside of the house. For whatever reason, I was unable to maintain my weight, and over the past year I've gained 60lb. I have seen incredible improvements with my dysautonomia. I'm rather upset with my weight at the moment, but now that I've seen how my weight seems tied in with my symptoms, I can't seem to motivate myself to try to lose any again.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

i am backwards the more i eat the worse i feel. Its crazy how dofferent the same disease can effect people so differently!

Weight definitely makes a difference for me, although I'm the opposite of Allene. 125-140 lbs seems to be the sweet spot for my body. Below or above that and the symptoms really start to dominate my life. Losing weight doesn't seem to cause anywhere near the problems that gaining does for me. Even that weight range plants me firmly in the underweight category for my height (6'2"), it's where I feel my best and my body seems happiest.

I have noticed some association with this. But i think it is the pots making the weight and not the weight making the pots. Within the month before my first "attack" i gained 15 lbs. Don't know if it was water weight or what.

I don't feel like my symptoms are a result of my weight fluctuation, but, I feel like my weight fluctuation is a result of my POTS. I loose weight remarkably fast when my GI symptoms flare up and I also gain it very fast once they settle. I am struggling to now to halt my weight gain because I am in a flare with many symptoms but not my GI symptoms, and as I have posted before my appetite gets weird and I can't feel full. When I add that into the lower activity level from my flare...it's bad news for my waistline.

I don't feel like my symptoms are a result of my weight fluctuation, but, I feel like my weight fluctuation is a result of my POTS. I loose weight remarkably fast when my GI symptoms flare up and I also gain it very fast once they settle. I am struggling to now to halt my weight gain because I am in a flare with many symptoms but not my GI symptoms, and as I have posted before my appetite gets weird and I can't feel full. When I add that into the lower activity level from my flare...it's bad news for my waistline.

I am the same way as you, Katybug :). I can easily lose 3 pounds in one day if I'm having a bad GI day, but as soon as my stomach gets under control, I put on weight really fast and I'm always starving,

That being said, I don't notice a difference on my symptoms as my weight changes. I am 5'9", and until I got married, my weight was about 120 pounds - and was extremly symptomatic. I had three pregnancies in three and a half years, and gained and lost 40 pounds each time, and didn't see a change at all in my symptoms.

I gained about 30 pounds or so when I first got sick, and then last year my weight plummeted, for no reason we could easily tell. After a lot of false negatives and dead ends, I finally ended up with a diagnosis of celiac disease. My weight stabilized for a minute, and I got back up to about 140, (I am 5'8, so at 140 I am still pretty slender.) but my symptoms have gone completely haywire, and my POTS, EDS type III, celiac disease, and osteoporosis are all exacerbating each other to a horrible degree. I have lost even more weight, am now down to 124, which is less than I weighed my senior year of high school almost 20 years ago. I got constant grief back then from friends and family that I was far too thin back then, at 128 or so. My fiance has been horrified at the disappearance of my rear end, and is strongly suggesting I need more milkshakes and such in my life. Like several of you, though, my weight fluctuations seem to be a result of my assorted dx'es, rather than triggering the flare.

Sandy