Going Out Of State

lillybits

My husband and I are going out to michigan (7hour drive) for his grandpas funeral. any tips on keeping my head above water during this time??I would be greatful for any input on this whatso ever!!!!

oh thank you. the ride plus dealing with lots of grieving people and I always try and take care of grandma out there....

I'm sorry for your loss. One thing that helps if riding in the car makes your nausea worse is to wear seabands. They are this little wrist band things that press an accupressure point which relieves nausea. They work very well! I think you can get them at CVS...

My condolences on the loss of your husband's grandfather. Seabands can work for nausea, as can Dramamine. I've noticed that Benadryl can also help. I drink a lot of water with electrolytes (tablets you drop into your water by Camelbak), try to keep my feet up as much as possible by leaning the car seat back or lying down on the back seat, and try to snack on salty foods during the trip. Get out to stretch (and probably use the restroom with all that water!) along the way, and try to rest as much as possible once you get to Michigan. I hope things go well for you, and please let us know how your trip went. I've done a six-hour trip before, and while difficult, it certainly wasn't impossible. Positive thinking helps!

I am so sorry for your family's loss. Long car rides are usually tough on me too. I find that Aveda comfort tea (buy at any Aveda salon, see my comments at recent nausea post) with peppermint and licorice root works well for nausea. It tastes good at room temp, warm or cold, so I usually make up some before leaving and carry in water bottles. I also carry small V-8 juice and salty crackers or pita chips and nuts for protein. And I tend to ride with the seat way back, which helps. Best wishes, Lyn

Like the others, I want to extend my condolences. Stress plus travel can do quite a number, but all the tips you have been given can help make it more manageable. The only things I would add is a bag of dried apricots, they are really high in potassium, and a serving size is just 5 pieces, which is easier for me to manage when I am really nauseated. (The fact that I have a massive sweet tooth is another reason I prefer dried apricots to bananas for potassium!) And if you have them, wear compression garments. I wear my compression stockings usually when I travel, but forget them on a recent trip. That was a very painful lesson learned! I will NEVER do that again! Good luck, and try to pace yourself as much as possible.

Sandy