What Do You For Fun?

jangle

Depends how im going - before I was sick i was the president of the more beer party at uni so I did plenty of that LOL. i also once enjoyed a monthly cigar night with friends over cards. Unfortunately neither goes down overly well now days and both are probably bad for the health anyway LOL. I used to also LOVE coffee.

Now days I keep busy gardening, playing guitar or doing music, reading and when I can bush walking.

Is bush walking where you walk from one bush to the next and see how many you can get to w/o getting Potsy? If so.. I do something similar --only with buildings :).

Scrabble is fun. I play far too many games of words with friends!

I like to draw/paint, discover new recipes, play guitar/piano, and organize things (yes it can be fun!). I spend much of my free time doing research on dysautonomia, but I wouldnt really call that fun. I just feel driven to figure out what on earth is wrong with me.

Before I was sick I was very active and used to love to exercise, ride horses, go biking, hiking, swimming--pretty much anything outside and active. I really had to change the way I do things......

I spend a lot of my days on the computer, reading, watching some tv shows I record so I can skip through the commercials (yay!), and exercising. I get enjoyment out of all of these things, especially reading. When I'm up to it, I like to go to matinees at the movies. Also, lunch out is an occasional treat. I love to hike, and I live near mountains, but now I can only do easy trails and not hike nearly as far as I'd like to.

I've always also loved Scrabble!

Currently, I'm just enjoying getting up and taking care of myself. Most recently I've started driving very short distances. I read a lot and use my computer a lot. I just started planning my garden for spring in hopes that I will be able to do the gardening this year. I LOVE to garden! I also love to sew, but I haven't had the energy to put towards it. But I am gradually getting better. All I have to do is look back 2-3 months and it's a dramatic difference. I have high hopes of being close to my normal self this summer! :D

Painting, drawing, words with friends :). I volunteer at dog rescue when I can. And I used to metal detect but I can't now. :(

I love to read with my kids, and snuggle them while doing so :). My hubby and I love a good reno project, and my hands-on involvement has changed to doing research beforehand and encouraging while he does it :). I also make kids accessories and sell them for a bit of extra money - the creative process has definitely kept me sane over the past couple of years! :)

I really like decorating the house. When I got sick, we had just finished some renovations and all my stuff was in boxes and bags where it stayed until fairly recently. So I'm trying to get my stuff back where it belongs! And of course playing with my birds and dogs.

I enjoy reading a good book and the bible, watching TCM, taking short walks around the house with and without my rolator walker, playing free computer games, occasional outings to a movie, a meal and mall again with and without rolator walker with very close friends and my family that watch out for me and just spending time with my family as a good listener. I enjoy everyone here also. Sending hugs and love to all. :)

I enjoy reading, crocheting, and blogging. When I am too tired to move I like to watch shows on hulu or tv. I like to play with my children as much as I can - usually while in my recliner or lying down on the floor. Though they are becoming much more rare, I enjoy going for outings in my wheelchair when I can. It is nice to get out of the apartment every once in a while.

yeah Jangle, what do you enjoy doing?

I like to play with my kids, crochet, do artsy things (paint, sew, etc). When I feel half way decent, we do things on the weekends like the park or special things like apple picking in the fall time, stuff like that.

Rachel, you crochet too? Awesome!!! Does anyone else? We should bring our projects to the get together and stich and talk

Before pots I was very active with gardening, walking, quilting, and biking. Since pots I have found a whole new life. I now play the digital piano, sing, and have started song writing. I have my first song in producttion now and am so excited to have found this new talent just lying dorment all my life because I was too busy to stop. As soon as I get the song copywrited I'll try to get it uploaded hear. You'll be my first concert!!!! I also have started dance lessons which has improved my pots so much. I'm working on getting a web site up with my first dance lesson on it for the disabled as well. I think I will accomplish more with my life with pots then without. It has taught me never to quit and when I fall flat on my face to get myself up, dust myself off, and continue on. I hope this site will be my biggest support. I wish the best for all of us here to find new avenues to have a fulfilling life.

Maggie

I like to cook when I can and on bad days I watch movies. I am the only female in a house full of boys so when I can seek it I love British romances like Sense and Sensiblity and Pride and Prejudice. Netflix has a lot of them. I am trying to learn to crochet but I'm not very good. I keep making circles LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to crochet too! I'm not great at it, but I've made a few blankets and stuff. I like to read, draw, paint, bake, watch tv, shop on ebay ;), play with my dog, and watch my 2 month old nephew. When I have energy, I like to go on short shopping trips, play croquet, play mini golf, go bowling, go to the park, or just sit in my hammock! I think I've found a lot more hobbies than I ever would have found without POTS, and I probably make more use of my time when I feel "good" than I did before I got sick.

• 1 year later...

I love to read, make jewelry( beading)and do puzzles. I also spend a lot of time on the computer or I-pad. Every year I try to put in a small garden. This is one of the most therapeutic thing I have found. It is sooo rewarding to see and eat the fruits of your labor. I play the guitar. And play cards and board games with family.

I have always loved to read, so at least that is something very POTS-friendly. I also am a writer, so that is also something that I spend a lot of my free time doing. (I actually self-published my first novel last year and am almost ready to get the second one out in print, woohoo!) Aside from that, I love my Netflix, love playing with my dogs when I can, and my husband and I have a beautiful walking trail behind our house that is flat and goes for miles. I have been trying to work my way back up to hiking, but the walking at least gets me outside in nature...which is a place that I need to be to feel whole. I do love dirt bikes, though getting back into that has definitely had its ups and downs--same thing goes for snowboarding. When I have my good days, I try to take full advantage of that and get as much exercize as possible. I also have been having a lot of success with yoga, which I think has been helping my POTS. I like to hang out with my hubby and friends and I can still go wine tasting as long as I sit at the tasting rooms, hydrate, and don't overdo it. Going to the movies, seeing musicals, anything to get me out of the house! lol And as long as I give myself enough rest time and allow myself to take it easy on bad days, I have kept up my big passion in life as well--travel! :)

I enjoy reading as well. I usually have about 5 or so books going at one time, depends on where I am in the house (I have books stationed everywhere) :) Some are for enjoyment, some for information, some self-help. I spend lots of time on the computer. I also homeschool and I enjoy creating curricula for different classes for my children. Currently working on a class for Art History. I also teach an hour class one day a week/2 semesters/12 weeks at a time. Currently teaching a poetry class. I really enjoy the researching, planning and creating the class most of all. I enjoy scrapbooking as well. I make my own books out of any cardboard I can find. I mostly do mini or smallish type books that are themed as opposed to a family album of sorts. This way I know that I can finish what I start. I watch Netflix a lot. I love to spend time with the hubby and kids and we enjoy laying out in the sun by the pool. I also blog and enjoy writing.

Pre-POTS: a lot of trail running and mountain biking; as much traveling as possible; and reading a hodgepodge of things

Post-POTS: sitting outside watching my dogs play; jogging when I'm able; playing boggle and reading when my brain isn't too foggy

I'm still have problems reconciling the pre-POTS me and the post-POTS me. Most of the things I really enjoyed were high energy activities. I still find that I think of myself as a mountain biker, but I haven't been in 3 years now. Does anyone else struggle with this?

YES Lel! I seriously have an issue with reconciling my pre-POTS and post-POTS "selves", so to speak. Me 2 1/2 years ago... dirt bikes, surfing, snowboarding, kickboxing, hiking...you name it, I did it. Me now...sad, sad, sad! lol People ask me to come to lunch and I have to think twice about it! And, like you, I think I still like to think of myself as that adventurous soul that I once was. I truly hope, with every part of my being, that someday I can get back to that person. I hope all of us can!!!

Yes, Lel, I have that problem too! I wasn't a super-athlete or anything, but very active, loved travelling, exploring, etc. I'd moved to Australia for a year post-college and got sudden post-viral POTS while I was there. Now I'm excited if I can take a 10 minute walk to a lake near my house. I agree with CMReber - I hope we can all regain the ability to be our selves someday, at least partially, even if it requires some modifications!

I watch a lot of TV and movies, but it's getting terribly boring. Reading, knitting, doing puzzles. On better days I like to cook. This is a great thread to get ideas for new hobbies!

I still like to think of myself as that adventurous soul that I once was. I truly hope, with every part of my being, that someday I can get back to that person.

Thanks CM and le! This is a good thread. I think it helps us focus on abilities rather than disabilities.

I find myself really torn between trying to be realistic and optimistic. My chances of getting back to that old self (especially with autoimmune, POTS, and fibromyalgia issues) seems slim. But by acknowledging this, I feel like I'm "settling" for a lifestyle that's not what I want. The other day I was watching America Ninja Warrior, and there was a guy doing crazy high level parkour tricks who has fibro. I doubt most docs would say, "hey, here's something this guy has a great chance of doing and doing well." I am sure he has had to face a lot of battles both mentally and physically with not only himself but those involved in his life.

At what point are we striving to be the best we can individually be (dysautonomia included)? And at what point are we chasing windmills with Quijote?