Florinef - No Side Effects,but Doesn't Work

lgtaylor100

I tried .1 Florinef for about four weeks. I didn't get any unbearable side effects, but it didn't work. I didn't feel any better. Heart rate was the same upon standing and dizziness continued. Did anyone else have a similar situation. No bad side effects just no help either.

There could be a couple of issues here. First of all it took 2-3 months to really start making a difference with me. Second, were you taking salt while using it?--my Dr. said that it wouldn't work without salt loading (because it exchanges sodium for potassium in the kidneys causing fluid retention). Third, you can always double the dose to .2 mg. That is the dosage I take. Another thing is that my hr didn't start going down until I was on florinef and an ssri. And with me, it was just finding the right salt dosage. One time I took 5g instead of 2 and my bp was 145/100 normally 90/70. I now sit around 115/79.

I did not feel any difference with the FLorinef alone. I had to salt and fluid load and then I started the beta blocker. I never "felt" any benefit from the FLorinef, but, I don't think I could take my BB of I wasn't taking the FLorinef because I think the BB would drop my BP too low. Before Florinef, my normal BP (at the doc's office) was 90/60. I've been on it now for 10 months and my BP is now pretty consistently 110/78. It increased gradually over the course of about 6 months.

I would suggest you check with your doctor about increasing the dose and go have some chicken soup, and tomato juice, and then a pickle and some olives and lots of liquids.

I edited this to include checking with your doctor. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV and should never give out medical advice.

I also just started taking Florinef recently. Like you, I probably took it for 6 or 7 weeks before even noticing a slight change. My doctor said 3-4 liters of salty fluid a day (not just water because it should be liquid you can retain) and to work your way up to 5 tablespoons of salt. I know it's really frustrating seeing no results right now but I have now been on for several months and have made leaps and bounds from where I was just by starting Florinef. Good luck to you!

I felt a difference on just 0.025mg (quarter Tablet) within an hour of taking it. It has completely changed my life. But am worried about long term effects - anyone on this had any advise about this.

lgail,

Please don't double your dose without first checking with your doctor! We have to be careful about giving out medical advice in this forum, because we are not doctors and what works for one person may have the opposite effect on others. Also, you do need a high salt intake along with water and electrolytes (Gatorade and other beverages), but again, please check with your doctor because it's not the same for everyone. I have low BP, and I am supposed to be taking 8-10 grams of salt a day.

My son take .2 and for awhile the Dr. had him on more, but didn't make a difference and it can affect the adrenals so another Dr. took him back down to .2. Everyone is right, you should check with your Dr. before making changes and what works for one does not work for another.

Another thing I noticed it when people say it worked for me or it didn't work for me they don't say how much they took or how long they tried it AND sometimes meds don't work but with another med then they both work better. Always take information from here as points to discuss with your Doctor. This goes for supplements also.

lemons,

I drink 20 -32 oz. of gatorade per day and also salt my food. I don't measure exactly how much salt I take in because my body has gotten pretty good about telling me. I start to crave salty food now if I haven't had enough. When I need a salt boost, I have found that many of the canned soups have very high sodium contents but are low calorie and some even get you a serving of veg., plus you get additional fluids. So, I keep lots of different soup flavors on hand to satisfy the craving (and slow the weight gain :P ). If I think of it in terms of grams, I would estimate that I am taking in 2-3 grams per day now. There was a point when I think I wasn't getting enough salt and once I upped my intake I could feel that I urinated less and didn't feel as thirsty (I still feel like I put out more fluid than I take in, it's just not as extreme.)

I have been told not to salt load even on Florinef.

This point has been debated elsewhere - not everyone takes a lot of salt.

There seems to be widely differing opinions.

Thanks everyone for your responses. This is so confusing. It works rapidly for some; takes months for others. Salt loading works for some, bad for others. My autonomic doctor has not given me a specific answer about salt loading. He seems to hedge on the issue. On my next visit I will press for his opinion on upping the dosage and maybe something more concrete on salt loading.

I've been on florinef for probably a total of a year (there was times my doctor had me off of it to try different combinations). I didn't get any side effects but have the same problem where it doesn't do anything to help. I would have your doctor do a blood test where they can check renin levels based on the results it will let your doctor know if florinef would even be a good drug. If the renin levels are lowere then florinef won't be as effective but if it is higher then it should be a good med to stay on.