Adrenaline Surge/panic Attack Feeling On Waking Around 5-6Am

Machair

As one of the posters who is taking an SSRI which has really helped almost all of my symptoms, I must warn you that it took 8 full weeks for it to FULLY take effect - that is - I am hardly dizzy at all anymore, I only get that *cold* feeling oncve every few days for a few hours, my exercise tolerance is slowly getting better, and that morning awful feeling that this thread is about is pretty much gone.

BUT, the first month on the drug was AWFUL and I had to really fight to stay on it. The first two weeks were worse than when I started. Then, things started getting better bit by bit. Now, 10 weeks in, I feel *almost* back to normal.( I still tire very easily and It takes me a few days to recover if I overdo.)

I take Cipralex (in the US, it is Lexapro). This one supposedly kicks in faster than other SSRIs, but that was not my experience.

Just a warning from my experience, don't give up too soon!

@abbyw

my dr started me on Celexa - an SSRI similar to cipralex. So far i haven't noticed any benefits, i even wondered for a while if these bp/hr spikes i'm having (particularly the bp) might be caused by it (some of its side effects are tachycardia, arythmias, hypertension). I guess I'll have to be patient and see what happens in a few weeks. I'm only taking 10 mg for now, but the dr wants to reevaluate and eventually double the amount in 2 weeks.

@julie

I feel your pain, and I'm sorry you/we have to deal with this. I read in another post of yours that your hr/bp are even higher when you stand. I'll be honest, I don't even have the courage to move as most my events happen when sitting or lying down, I wouldn't even dare check my vitals standing. If i were to see some huge numbers I'd freak and the last thing I need or want is a full blown panic attack... Which is as close to these things as you can get.

Alex

This used to happen to me all the time in the middle of the night, so I wasn't sleeping well at all!! Now on my meds and Cpap machine (for sleep apnea), it only happens at about 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning. It's my wake up call!! So if I go to bed at a reasonable hour, I'm a lot better now, thank you, God...