All Nighters

puppylove

In a month I am probably up all night over seven nights. The reasons vary- GERD, nausea, insomnia, stomach pain, anxiety etc. Needless to say I am a wreck the next day. I take three mg of melatonin a day but I have not noticed any difference. Any ideas/ suggestions for sleeping?

i'm usually not awake all night but wake up lots of times during the night or i'm awake for several hours about 2 or 3 times a night. i've found out what worked best for me, which is stay in bed, drink water (have a bottle next to my bed) and read. of course i'm a wreck waking up but i get out between 7.30 and 8.30am as to not sleep during the day.

hope this helps :)

Lately I have been have much more difficult time sleeping at night. I know the most common recommendation is to stay in bed and try to relax. What I have found is that now it's my adrenal gland that is kicking off big time. I get up and put on may dancing shoes and do my dance exercises for twenty minutes and within thrity minutes I'm back to sleep. I know this sounds so strange, but that is what is helping me now to get some rest.

Maggie

Digestion problems keep me awake too. I recently discovered that I was eating too much meat

and eating too late. I simply don't digest foods like I used to and digestive enzymes stopped

working for me. I'm down to 2 - 3 oz per meal and don't eat past 6 or 7 pm.

I take melatonin, sun theanine and 5htp for sleep. They all work a little different. These won't

work if your digestive tract is keeping you awake tho.

An all natural, whole foods diet seems to help a lot of chronic illnesses. Dr tery wahls is the

best example of this that I know of. Her info, videos esp, is on the web.

Taking probiotics, either in fermented foods or supplements should help too.

Go slowly on any changes so you don't shock your body. Tc .. D

For 3 years I couldn't sleep. It really was taking a toll on my body, and I was unable to function during the day. I was up for hours every night, until I was totally exhausted, then I would sleep one night, and start the cycle all over again. It was my heart palpitations that would wake me up, and also sleep apnea, which I didn't know I had at the time. I now am on several medications, one for my heart, a beta blocker, called bystolic, and one to help me sleep, clonazepam, and I sleep with a Cpap machine. It's amazing the difference this has made for me, but everyone is different. Digestive issues will sometimes keep me up, as well. I would try not to sleep during the day, though, because I believe it always makes it worse. Talk to your doctor, and maybe he will be able to help you, as well. Warm baths do relax you, that was a great suggestion, and sometimes I will get up only after being awake for an hour to read, or write poetry. :)

This has been going with me ever since I returned from the hospital in the first week of Jan. (I had been in a hospital since Thanksgiving except for just a few days) Every night I am up until 3 or 4am and just can't sleep until then. So my sleep schedule is crazy out of whack... I either wake up on time at 7 and get three hours sleep or sleep later until after 9 but then my meds are all messed up. Vicious circle.

It feels like in the middle of the night I get this incredible adrenal surges which make it impossible to sleep. And I have nighttime meds I take that I think would make me tired. But nothing seems to work. I am tired all the time too. Maybe I should try Benadryl. That might be help.

I have tried benadryl and it does make me sleepy, but not enough to mask my tummy problems.

I am a fan of Tylenol PM for the Benedryl and Acetomenaphine it contains. I also have some stomach meds that I only took at night when my stomach was flared up specifically because they made me sleepy (phenergan and belladonna.) I also have an alarm clock that has a sound machine in it which helps me relax and I read until it makes me sleepy. If I keep the TV on, it keeps me way too stilmulated. Someone on here also recently mentioned orange lights which also help cut down on stimulation from the normal white light bulbs. You can get them at the big home improvement stores. I have had lots of sleep issues since POTS started and one of the keys to getting better sleep was definitely finding meds that alleviated my GI symptoms. Hope you get a good night's sleep soon!

The Drs. at Mayo said my son should get up and read until he is sleepy (not stay in bed) and that he should read something really boring, think dictionary, shakespear, wall street journal, book you have read 5 times.... Do not go to bed until you are tired and get up at the same time in the AM.

I think part of my problem is that because I am "bedridden" so much I am actually in bed too much of the day. Maybe I need to get out of bed and crawl up to the couch or a recliner so bed comes more synominous with sleep.. That, along with my whole schedule being turned upside down in the hospital has made sleep a major issue. I wonder if that is contributing?

Thanks! Jen

If I can't sleep in the middle of the night, I will often go sleep somewhere else - couch, guest bed, even the bathroom floor if the nausea is really bad and I'm too scared to wander away from the toilet. Sometimes just changing where I am will help me drop right into a deep sleep, or going there and reading with a tiny bit of light and a small snack and then I drop off pretty quickly. I even slept 5 hours on the bathroom floor once - stole my pillow and put my towel over my body like a blanket. As to what Jen says - I definitely would try crashing somewhere else (I have semi-permanently colonized our couch and padded bench), making it kind of a nest you can relax in, and then bed becomes something separate.

Actually - does anyone else notice that their dysautonomia is waaaaay worse after not enough sleep?

I find binaural beat guided meditations send me out quite easily when i'm wide awake. The binaural beats seem to have quite an effect on me. I'm sure there are tons out there but this one is good.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/meditation-station/id123885923

It's the one rather aptly tittled zzzz

Normal relaxtion/sleep type sounds dont work for me, these do because of the binaural beats.