Who Had Low Potassium Before Taking Florinef?

Good possible piece of the puzzle. If the potassium channels aren't working properly, it affects aldosterone and therefore, affects blood volume. I wonder if taking potassium might not solve allot of problems for us? One medicine being given is to help up potassium levels and lower angiotension II levels (Lorsartan) has helped some. (was not good for me) but - just thinking maybe just a supplement might help do what we may need done to help this.

Issie, I take potassium and it helps a little but pill form is very hard to digest. I mean you can see it clearly and untarnished in your stool. There is a powder form, but its a bit pricey. In the mean time I eat lots of.bananas. and I can always tell when my potassium is low. Things stop functioning as well neurologically.

Rama, I think you and I have the same issues with pots. Low potassium was also my only abnormality

Count me in, too. Low potassium even at the beginning and now very low magnesium, too. Which is odd considering I have adrenal failure which usually causes high potassium.

I tolerate and use the blue capsules slow release potassium. I take 60-80meq a day and I am still on the low end of normal.

This doesn't surprise me actually. Potassium is a very important chemical in our bodies. Every nerve signal in your body is carried by sodium and potassium exchanging flows to create the electrical charge that sends messages. I was thinking about this the other day. I was thinking of the nervous system as communication technology. Sending messages through the neurons is like a land line and sending messages via hormone (epinephrine) (norepinephrine) is like wireless. (It seems, like we are using our wireless more than our landlines with pots.) Brain: can you hear me now? Veins: no!!!!!! :) ) Something else to consider is that every cell in our bodies have channels on them to regulate their own homeostasis. From what i understand, the sodium concentration tends to be higher in the fluid surrounding the outside of the cell--and the potassium level higher on the inside. There are supposed to be sodium /potassium pumps in the cell that create this difference across the cell membrane. This link is a an excellent demonstration: http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072495855/student_view0/chapter2/animation__how_the_sodium_potassium_pump_works.html

This link also easily explains the function: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na%2B/K%2B-ATPase

If the cell doesn't have the appropriate amount of sodium or potassium, there's gonna be problems.

I keep a list of all the things that can cause pots, and it really is endless, no wonder researchers are having some difficulties.

But a couple of them relating to this topic are

1. The sodium potassium pump in the cell isn't working properly

2. The epithelium(absorbent cells) in the intestine aren't absorbing properly causing low potassium

3. The kidney's are excreting potassium in the urine instead of absorbing it (makes me think of the post on aldosterone being the biochemical equivalent of florinef--which causes us to retain salt and lose potassium)--so do we (potassium deficients) have higher than normal levels of aldosterone? And if so, why and what is it compensating for?

4. There is an underlying circulatory problem that prevents potassium and other nutrients from being readily available from plasma to the cells.(however, the fact that potassium is low in plasma, means there is an issue in getting the potassium into the plasma)

5. The earth is shifting its magnetic field in preparation for 2012 and it is messing up our bodies ( i use this one just for fun :D )

My bet is going to be the kidney's--there's a reason our potassium is low, and i'm gonna bet they are the culprit...

Yes, lemontolemonade - that was my conclusion over a year ago. But, trying to get doctors to take a closer look at this has not been something I've been able to accomplish. I think part of the issue is in kidney function. Also, possibly, correcting with deficient minerals may be the answer. Our bodies will make it's own vitamins but will not make it's own minerals. If we aren't getting it from our food or our bodies are not metabolising things properly - then there could be the problem.

Issie

I do know my kidneys are the culprit in my low magnesium (which the nephrologist said will bring down my potassium and sodium, too). I waste 4x the amount of magnesium through my kidneys. (24hr urine test)

I take 700mg of magnesium a day, soak in a magnesium bath every night, and used to take 1x a week magnesium infusions, but my veins are not cooperating anymore, and I still test at the low end of normal for magnesium.

My renin and aldosterone are both low, so maybe that is why the kidneys aren't working right.

Sure wish we could figure it all out.

kluesyk, I'm going to try a new kind of magnesium that is supposed to go into the cells better and will cross the blood brain barrier. I posted about it recently. I don't know, hoping this will be an answer. Interesting the connection with the kidneys - wasn't thinking there was a connection there - but good to know there is. Maybe, I'm on the right track. I'll let you know, if it works or not.

Issie

I was also low for potassium the first time i collapse.

What are the normal for potassium / sodium ? Mine was 4.0 K and 140 sodium last test.