Ok, Serious Post: Ive Never Been To A Concert Ever / & Lifetime Dream Come True To See Tool In Feb/ Advice Please!

hilbiligrl

Ok guys and gals. After i got diagnosed by vandy back in sept of 2010, and learned of what i have and all. Over the past year, i have made me a 'life goals/wishlist/bucket list' of things i wanna make happen and have totally got to do in life. My number one on this list was to see my favorite band of all time, TOOL, in concert. I truly never thought it would really happen, but have always dreamed of the day.

Now, i have never ever been to a concert, never been to a club, party, bar or even a girls night out dancin..... I have lived a sheltered life, yes. But, TOOL is coming to charlotte next month (which is about 3 hours from me) and this past saturday tickets went on sale and sold out within the first few mins. I have to share this with you cuz, with our disease(s), you guys know how MAJOR an event like this is and the chance that TOOL would tour again was pretty dismal and i had promised myself if they ever toured again, i would make it to a concert. So, i called the day before these tickets went on sale and the woman at ticket master said, listen, if you have had no experience with this, you need to be calling in 10 mins before they go on sale AND be online at the same time trying to buy them because she said they would sell out in the first few mins.

So, i get up and im at the computer 30 mins beforehand...... 10 mins beforehand, im on the phone and set up online to try to buy 2 tickets...... time to buy and for the life of me i couldnt get any tickets online, sold that fast, but i was on the phone with them..... they said i could get 2 seats that are behind box seats and was like 'way awesome'..... but then omg..... my landline phone all the sudden got static in it, and hung up!!!!!! THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED!!!!!! EVER!!!! I used the land line just so something like that couldnt happen.... and it did???? and omg!!! i totally broke down sobbing so hard that hubbs here (he's 58 and im 34, we've been together for 11-12 years now)... anyways, he knows how deeply and how much this means to me and i was sooo sobbing, cuz i thought i totally lost those tickets due to the phone acting like it was possessed or something.... so im sobbing, about to pass out, sobbing and so hurt..... calling them back..... and totally got the hubbs crying too, cuz he hurt so bad that i was so tore up and totally sobbing, he just knew i was so hurt at not getting tickets...... .so i had to suck it up when i got ticketmaster back on the phone..... good news.... they locked in my order before the phone went bizerk!!!! So, i was told i had 2 good tickets behind the boxed seats area and at a darn good view! more than i could have dreamed or even expected or asked for!!!

Ok... here's the kicker. Hours later in the day, after they sold out, i called ticketmaster back just to ask some questions cuz im new at this (i know, im a total dork..... 34 and never been to a concert???).... so i call back and as i get to talking to them, it comes out that my tickets where changed to balcony tickets.... which were way back further.... waaaaaayyyyy back further...... i was so upset..... not crying upset, but upset but still i was thankful i got them....... but i was so dissapointed cuz i had got my hopes up already with those good seats and had already booked a hotel that is like 1000 feet from the coliseum where the concert is. But they offered no reason why my tickets where changed, nor offered any better seats :(

So.... here's the best kicker. I emailed ticketmaster not very long after that, cuz i was all disappointed and wanted to know how my seats got changed, and there was this option if i could request 'accessible' seats, due to handicap, etc. So, as i emailed them, i filled that form out. They responded that they were aware i was told the seats behind the box and then was changed out to the balcony and would send my accessible request in to the box office and see what they could do. So, i was like, ok, sure..... no prob..... i'll be happy no matter what.

They write back an hour later and they OFFER ME 2 SEATS THAT ARE 4 ROWS FROM THE FRONT OF THE STAGE!!!!!!! Well, i didn't know what that meant..... had no idea if that meant i would be in a mosh pit or something and we ALL know on here that we can't do a mosh pit, right??? (im sure id be wheeled out on a stretcher if i got caught up in one of those!) so i had to ask folks who've been to their concerts before if they were good tickets.... and they were like good???? heck, you could prob see Maynard's sweat!!!! so im like OMG!!!!! finally after several hours of me deciding if this was a good option for me and this disease, and i even emailed ticketmaster back and said 'look, im naive to these things and all and i asked them if these were seats that would be in a moshpit, etc..." and they wrote back and said this venue and concert would have no mosh pit....so i took them!!!!.... all it costed was 6 more dollars and i was not asked to pay the original price due to the mess up and all.

How on earth did i get that lucky??????? A TOTAL DREAM COME TRUE!!!

Ok... so now..... im scared, intimidated and nervous. Hubbs is coming with me and 2 long time friends of ours who have been long time cops, are gonna meet up with us too and we all have booked at the same hotel. The cop friends know that im sick alot and sick bad....... so, i have 3 big dudes (im little) who are going and who can 'watch over me'.......

but, im scared nonetheless.... what if the noise, lights, smoke, etc cause an episode (it's like a fainting/seizure like episode) or what if im sick, like bad sick that day?

What can I do, or what would you guys advise for me for something like this??? I have been more bedridden lately than not, and well, i've just been sick and sick and sick and more sick..... doesn't seem to be letting up these past few months.

I think my seats are were i can have easy access to the aisle to run to the bathroom should i start throwing up, or urinating a million times, or dirrehea..... so i think that is good..... but i really wanna enjoy this..... this right of passage that i have missed out on....... and i really wanna have a good feeling day..... and take all precautions so as to truly enjoy something that life has to offer.

So.... ladies and gents..... i need advice!!!!!

thanks so much...... i deeply wanted to share my excitement and awe at this lifetime opportunity for me with yall!!!! plus, i know you all would know what to advise for a concert with me in the shape im in......

love yall!!!

tennille

That's awesome! Since you have folks who will be driving you and watching you, it may be a good idea to premedicate with any meds you would normally use after a flare (as long as it's safe to take them together). Bring earplugs and darkly tinted glasses in case you start feeling overly stimulated by the sounds and lights. Don't do too much standing, if possible, and try to listen to your body and lay down if you need to (you might want to bring a light blanket in case you have to lay on the floor near your seats.

Hey, even if you just get to enjoy a few songs and then have to leave, it will be SO worth it!

Hi Tennille, well done for getting the tickets.

Having been an avid raver/clubber for many years prior to POTS, the only thing I could advise is dont be nervous (easier said than done!) prior to the event, but set your self up with a contented happy mindset about the whole thing. It will be loud, and there'll be a big old sound system etc but I think if you focus on the music and that this band are your favourite you'll be fine.

Hope to go to Glastonbury Festival myself here in the UK next time its on (2013), fingers crossed!

Thankful gave you great advice. A headset works well too in place of ear plugs-it helps muffle sounds too. If you are cold, layer your clothes. I would add that you may want to contact the colesium to see what handicap accessible accommedations are already in place such as exit routes, elevators, wheel chairs, bathrooms available, etc...I would also pack a lunch if possible and if aloud drinks, bring what ever you eat or drink normally. I would also ask them about start, intermission and end times so you don't have to get caught up in the crowds of people. I know most places have handicap parking or even Valet parking so you don't have to walk far. Being prepared ahead of time so you can relax and enjoy the concert. Good luck and have fun :D.

WOW!!!! yall are great!!! im seriously writing down a checklist as we speak, cuz i seriously didn't know how to prepare for this!! Thank you! EACH of you!!! excellent ideas!!! YES!!!

:)

tennille

if your not feeling well at the time you could try saline to ensure you feel better for the day. When I went a concert once and felt terrible beforehand I drank lots of caffeine and it spiked my BP for a while. As for overstim - its a tough one. When im feeling well a beer or two can cut this out but if im bad it will obviously make me worse LOL.

Tool! I understand ;-) So yeah seriously earplugs - even for 'normal' people. It's stupid loud. You can hear it fine with the earplugs in. Honestly.... everyone will be standing near the stage so you might be looking at people's backs. It's not the type of concert where people are going to sit much. I hope they figured that out when they offered you the seats. The best seats for sitting might be front row balcony. Farther sure but you might actually see more of the whole stage and slightly more chill back there. It's a tough call BUT if you change your mind when you get there you can probably change seats with someone further back - they'll be happy to move up right? If there's an opening band, you might have a good opportunity to swap after that. Good Luck!