Salt Tablets Might Be Bad For Pots

Thanks, flybro - I wonder if this is anything like the electrolyte drinks that people mention elsewhere on the forum. I tried one of them yesterday (Gatorade, often mentioned) first thing before getting out of bed because I gather that that's what Dr Nancy Klimas recommends. It seemed to make me more and more thirsty! I have read on Elisabeth Rybak's blog Dr Levine's advice that that salt tablets are no longer recommended for OI because by putting a large dose of salt in the stomach causes it to draw water from the bloodstream; I wonder whether electrolyte drinks might do the same wheras salt with food wouldn't (because the food would slow absorption).

If I take too much salt too quickly I feel worse rather than better. It has to be a subtle gradual thing in my experience. Gatorade works ok but salt by itself does not for me. Maybe this is why. Ben Levine actually impresses me a lot when I have read some of his work and emailed him. Perhaps this is a condition that somehow triggers a deconditioned-like state in patients with corresponding low blood volume.

His work is certainly gaining momentum within the dysautonomia research community. Although I think a quote someone said to me recently summed up my experience: Exercise may improve the symptoms but my take is the underlying disease is still there.

My husband made the mistake of drinking Gatoraid while working outside in the heat and totally imbalanced his electrolytes. Your body can't take the salt up that fast. It took months for him to recover and he is normally a very healthy person. The doctor said to sip the Gatorade but drink water in between the sips and NEVER drink or guzzle it. We thought he had Valley Fever or something he was really sick for a long time.

There is a reason why those stranded at sea will die from drinking sea water--- hypertonic solutions dehydrate you. Unless you can find a way to make exactly a 0.9% solution, I would strongly caution against mixing salt with water and drinking it....

I could never tolerate salt tablets. They made me nauseous. However, I drink broth which is a lot saltier than Gatorade. I feel an instant lift often after I drink broth. Maybe it is the fact that Gatorade and salt tablets are not as natural as ingesting a normal food. I do know that salt tabs and Gatorade work for many and i would not want to discourage people from these options. I do think thatpart of it is drinking the right amount of water and it is a tricky balance. We are all so different I think we have try things and see what works for us in consultation with our drs.

• 1 year later...

Thanks, flybro - I wonder if this is anything like the electrolyte drinks that people mention elsewhere on the forum. I tried one of them yesterday (Gatorade, often mentioned) first thing before getting out of bed because I gather that that's what Dr Nancy Klimas recommends. It seemed to make me more and more thirsty! I have read on Elisabeth Rybak's blog Dr Levine's advice that that salt tablets are no longer recommended for OI because by putting a large dose of salt in the stomach causes it to draw water from the bloodstream; I wonder whether electrolyte drinks might do the same wheras salt with food wouldn't (because the food would slow absorption).

If I take too much salt too quickly I feel worse rather than better. It has to be a subtle gradual thing in my experience. Gatorade works ok but salt by itself does not for me. Maybe this is why. Ben Levine actually impresses me a lot when I have read some of his work and emailed him. Perhaps this is a condition that somehow triggers a deconditioned-like state in patients with corresponding low blood volume.

His work is certainly gaining momentum within the dysautonomia research community. Although I think a quote someone said to me recently summed up my experience: Exercise may improve the symptoms but my take is the underlying disease is still there.

I was wondering does Levine acknowledge neuropathy yet (let alone immune dysfunction) in POTS? One of his best cases dropped off the radar due to mast cell issues. She ran a blog promoting him. You say he increasingly impresses you. Has he gotten more realistic in his views?

Btw does he have any new data out? In the community based study I hear he didn't bother to take any heart size or Vo2Max or stroke volume measurements.

Also can't send you any PMs rama. Your inbox must be full now.

• 4 months later...

I have shifted away from using salt entirely.

This has come up before. I don't take salt tabs, but I do know that FOR ME :). Mayo was very clear on limiting my free water and increasing my salt consumption.

I will say that it's pretty easy to get your soduim levels checked. Mine are consistantly low. If I forget to use enough salt I end up in the ER.