Long Term Disability Thru Employer And Ssi Disability

jenglynn

After almost a month in the hospital I am back at home but still pretty much debilitated. I do have a wheelchair and walker with seat/wheels now to help my "mobility". My diagnosis list is pretty long: Autonomic Dysfunction Neuropathy (possibly autoimmune), Undefined at this time auto immune disorder (waiting for labs to come back to determine if it can be identified), Post concussive syndrome (I have had 6 concussions),Migraines and Cluster Headache Disorder, Fibromyalgia, P.O.T.S (although I am not sure that they still keep POTS on the list with the Autonomic Dys. DX, Hypermobility and Hyperextendable joints, Hyperthyroid, Chronic Fatigue... I know there are more but can't think of them right now.

I was approved very quickly from my employer's Long Term Disability company for 2 years of disability. I just received a letter indicating that in my case I HAVE to apply for SSI. I guess they have that right if they think there is a reasonable chance that I could be approved. So, in order to keep my LTD benefits I have to go through the whole SSI process which I was dreading.

I know there is no way of knowing, but do you think I have ANY chance of being approved by Social Security? I began the application and it is such a process that it was exhausting to even begin. I hate to be so negative but after the stories I have heard on this forum and from others, the odds are almost zero that I will get approved. And I am wondering if anything would happen to my LTD benefits if I am denied by SSI. At this point, there is NO way I can return to work. I can hardly stand for more more than 2 minutes at a time and my sitting is very limited as well. I am tryng to vary my positions more and more now that I am home from the hospital but sitting up is difficult and exhausting for me. Walking is pretty much impossible. After a few steps I am so dizzy and my HR so high (at least over 180)... Same with standing but I have to be so careful with syncope. The thought of trying to work at this point is impossible but if I am not approved benefits I don't know how we would survive. I guess I know it isn't a matter of IF I am denied, but WHEN. It doesn't sound like anyone was ever approved the first time. I am just hoping I get to keep my work LTD benefits in the meantime.

Advice for filling out that initial application would be helpful. I know that I have doctors who would write letters for me. Is there a place for me to write about activities that are impossible for me? It is so hard when the people who make these decisions know so very little about our illness. I am in Wisconsin if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Jen

jenglynn,

I have been using an attorney since the beginning of my SSI application process. He told me he just got finished with another POTS patient that was approved for SSI. SO, yes, especially given the severity of your particular case, I would think you have a good chance. The attorney told me not to fret when I got the first two denial notices because he said almost no one gets approved until they go in front of a judge/majestrate for a hearing. One of the things that he has had me do is keep a simple daily journal of how my days go. He actually said that I could just make a 1 to 10 scale and rate each day. I keep a more detailed journal because I have found it helps me prep for my docs appts too.

Good luck to you.

Katie

I surprised that your LTD carrier doesn't contract out to another company to help get you on SSDI. My mom has Cigna and I have Unum for LTD and they each contract out to another company whose sole job is to help you apply for SSDI. Unum uses Allsup. They also supplied an attorney when I had my SSDI hearing. Your LTD carrier must have some sort of support... after all, getting on SSDI will only benefit THEM. They will deduct your SSDI monthly payment from whatever they are currently paying you monthly so it will save them tons of money.

It may benefit you (or someone who can help you) to call your LTD company, explain how severely ill you are, and ask how they can help you with the SSDI application process. If they don't have any resources, ask if you can hire an attorney on your own to help you get SSDI. The attorney will be paid most likely by collecting a portion of the back-pay that you will get paid (once you're approved for SSDI, they'll pay you for all of the months since you first applied).

And to answer your final question, yes you can certainly get approved. I'm only 38 but was approved a couple of years ago for SSDI. I was turned down the first two applications (mostly because the company my LTD firm used to help me didn't provide all of my medical documentation). But I was well-prepared for the hearing and the judge had no doubt that I qualified. If you can provide plenty of medical documentation (testing, letters from doctors about how disabled you are, etc), you could be approved the very first time you apply but don't be surprised if you have to apply again.

Thank you everyone!! I guess it does seem a little bit daunting at first... but I just started the process and it was not so bad... I am applying online. I got to the part about all of the doctors visits and I became pretty overwhelmed. Every appointment... with EVERY doctor and EVERY lab or test that has been ordered???? All of those dates? I spend more time at my clinic, hospital or with my doctors than with my family it seems. I have NO clue how to fill that out. Wouldn't the medical records just suffice????

Thankful, thank you for your advice. When I got my approval letter from LTD, they did say that an SSDI rep would be contacting me but I haven't heard anything yet. Maybe I will just call and see if I can get the ball rolling a little faster and if I had some help, all the better.

I was approved on my 1st attempt. My diagnosis is POTS, I was 37 at the time. You never know! I was all prepared to appeal and I got an approval letter. It was fairly easy to file, I did have my doctors fill out a form provided by a lawyer friend of mine that made it clear all the limitions there were. For me I think the doctor made it clear there was a high risk of syncope and that's what helped the most. Hope it goes well for you. So stressfull waiting to hear!!

Brye

As terrible as it is, maybe the "severity" of my case according to the doctors and the extreme multiple syncope episodes resulting in so many concussions may work to my advantage I suppose as far as applying for disability. I hate to look at it that way but as hard as I am fighting this disease, trying to fight a government agency sounds just exhausting.

Age is a huge factor when you apply. My attorney said that only 1 in 4 young people (under the age of 50) get approved on first try. I guess social security does not want to pay out for too many years LOL.

I got denied twice and am now waiting for a hearing with the judge. I no longer drive, work or leave my house, and even though I told them I have frequent sycope episodes, they still insist that someone can drive me to work and I can do "light part time work". The whole system is completely ridiculous IMO. However, my lawyer did say that most people do take it all the way to the judge, so dont worry if you do get denied. Good luck with all of this and try to stay positive!

I do know that I will have assistance from my LTD company in filing for SSDI. As mentioned before, it is definitely in their best interest if I get approved. So I am not sure if it is necessary for me to hire a lawyer at this time. I guess I will finish applying and then see what happens.

From my basic calculations, it appears that the amount of money will not be changed by more than $200 a month if I were to get approved only because I believe that SSDI pays for dependent children but there is a max payout that is not much less than my LTD monthly amount.

Like many of you have said, how could most of us actually work with these conditions? Not only completing the actual work once we arrived at work but the whole process of actually arriving there? I can't drive. Taking a shower is a two hour process by the time I have recovered. Even sitting upright I have tachycardia and standing it is to the point where I can hardly breathe. Every time I stand I never know how long it will be until I have pre-syncope or syncope. After six concussions, I am terrified of having another. After my last one (day before Thanksgiving) I have noticed a significant change in my cognitive abilities. It doesn't help that my fifth concussion had occurred 10 days before. Both included major head lacerations with staples.

I would MUCH rather be healthy and be able to go to work and take care of my family instead of the other way around. But with my defective immune system and not even knowing the nature of that yet plus the autonomic dysfunction neuropathy, post concussion syndrome along with the 10 plus more DX that may or may not be related.... I don't see how I could possibly hold down ANY job, even part time when I am bed ridden most the time. It is going to take months to get myself back to where I was before IF I ever do get there... and these illnesses aren't going anywhere. It is just frustrated to be dealing with all of this paperwork. I guess mainly because it just makes it all so real to me.

I applied on my own and got denied twice then I hired a lawyer. I met with the judge and was approved a year later. I would advise you to get a lawyer. The judge told me the process had to go they way it did because of my age (i'm 34 now was approved in June) and POTS isn't on the list of approved disability's used by social security. The lawyer is free until you win then they can only get a portion up to $6000 from your back pay The amount is decided by the court. Then I had to pay $480 out of pocket for office fee's. The lawyer explained everything to me and I think work hard to educate the judge about POTS. I would not want to try that by myself. Good luck to you and if you want to know anything about my Social Security experience feel free to ask.