Exercise Oddity

potsgirl

The other day I took my BP/HR after 35 minutes on my treadmill. I was working fairly hard (for me), cooled down for a minute or two, and then took my readings. I had bascially no change! My BP was about what it is when I'm sitting (90/65) and my HR was 71. Anyone else have these kind of results after exercise?? Normally when I stand, my BP goes to about 65-75/55 or so, and my HR goes up from about 65 to 120. Of course, I'd been upright for at least 45 minutes by that time...

I'm really interested in what others get for their readings. I got a Timex HR watch for Christmas, and as soon as I get through the directions, I hope it gives me more answers. No wonder I feel so awful when I get done exercising!

Thanks and cheers,

Jana

jana, i have that too. very often while exercising (walking/biking) i have a drop in heart rate (don't know about bp don't measure while exercising), which makes my pt's look strange at me. i don't know why it happens and what (if anything at all) that means. i'm seeing my cardio tomorrow and will ask him about it.

I used to use a recumbent bike that had a built in heart rate sensor... my hr would do very odd things... and I had a watch that did the same--when I used to run, my hr would sometimes drop into the 50s for several seconds at a time...and then pop up into the 120s. I used to think it was a fluke but it also happened during treadmill testing at the cardiologist office. He didn't seem concerned; chalked it up to my personal body quirks.

i also get a drop in heartrate after i exercise. was told that its cos the exercise kinda reminds your body how to regulate it's heartrate so the tachcardia often settles down for a while. i usually get a few hours of reduced tachycardia after an hour of so of exercise. shame it wears off but it's nice while it lasts :lol: .

occasionally after half an hour of exercise my heart rate drops into brachycardia rates, and stays down there for 15-20 mins, but after it my heart rate stabilises into more 'normal' rates and i get my break from the tachycardia. i assume it's just my body remembering how to slow my heart rate down and overdoing the correction just a tad. it never gets to dangerous levels (never below 44bpm) so i just keep my eye on it rather than calling my doctor. :) it always fixes itself, but it does make me very drowsy.

fi

I don't know, Jana. Ironically, the opposite problem for me, realizing my hear rate was pushing 200 during exercise and asking my parents if that was okay, was the true start of my search for answers. I have multiple diagnoses now, POTS, EDS, celiac disease, osteoporosis, and it seems that they just keep adding up. I am actually starting to lose interest! I have come full circle, where I don't think there will ever be a "label" that will magically give the one brilliant doctor the insight needed to "cure" me. Now I simply try to focus on being as happy as I possibly can, and focus on the things and the people that I love. I still try to do everything I possibly can to be as healthy as I can be. But I have accepted that for me, perfect health is not something I will ever experience again. So why waste energy trying to get someplace I am not allowed to go? I simply try to focus on doing what makes me happy, making the very healthiest choices I can to slow the progression of some of my illnesses as much as possible. I don't know if this helps at all, Jana, but it does help me stay a little more grounded. :)

Sandy

We were taught that when someone's HR dropped with exercise it was a sign the heart wasn't compensating well with the demands being placed on it. That's with "normal" cardiac patients though. LOL. Who knows what it means with us. I've been having similar issues with HR not increasing and sometimes dropping when I'm active these days.

Mighty Mouse- Interesting you have had the experience of your heart rate dropping down and then popping back up when you exercise. I've had that for years and kept blaming the equipment until I had the same experience on a stress test at the cardio's office. The cardio was looking at the echo while it was happening and said that the force of the ventricular contraction was literally pumping every drop of blood out and the walls of the ventricle slamming together so hard set off a vagal reaction that made HR and BP drop as a protective mechanism.

my cardio told me that a drop in heartrate during exercizing is a typical pots thing, there's not enough blood to pump so to protect itself it drops. he strongly advized me to keep my heartrate under 120/130 while exercizing as when it gets higher i will get in danger of fainting.

it was heart warming to see how happy he is for me that i'm doing so much better on octreotide (combined with an ssri), he told me that over a year ago both he and my neuro had no hopes for me that i would ever improve again (for those of you who don't know: i was mostly home/bed bound and in an electric (reclining) wheelchair when/if going out). and here i am walking into his office. i still have issues but i'm happy :)

Potsgirl--I would definitely talk to your cardiologist / electrophysiologist about this. Being that you have dilated cardiomyopathy, you may actually be working out too hard.

That being said, I have the same problem! Initially my heart rate will take off and go too high, but then it will drop far too low for what I am doing, then bounce back up to waaay too high. I also get atrial tachycardia at times when I exercise which is very scary.

When I took a beta blocker (wich turned out to be very bad for me) I could not get my heart rate up above 120. It is typical with BB to reduce heart rate during exercise, but I also felt as if I was dragging a truck around and was dizzy 99% of the time. I was only taking 1/2 of the lowest prescribed dose.

Wow, proud of you Potsgirl for being able to do that on the treadmill...good for you! Of course I have to say this... be careful. :) Don't forget to mention it to the doctor. The treadmill is like several free glasses of wine for me. I got tired of the drunk feeling so switched to an upright bike and I don't get as woozy. I have the opposite of your situation, my heart and blood pressure travel up too fast. For the cardiac stress test, I only had to walk for 3 minutes to get to the high heart rate they needed. But I find it so strange that your blood pressure stays the same. Hmmmm...I hope you get some answers.