My official venting thread.

JLB

I usually try to stay upbeat and positive, but I'm in the middle of another meltdown and I just need to say I HATE this.

As soon as I get up from this chair, my heartrate will go weird, I'll probably get dizzy, and my head hurts. I've been struggling through a nasty brain fog for days, I'm not digesting food right, and I have weird rashes. Black spots floating around in front of my eyes.

I need (really bad) some dental work done, but you all know the problems with the novocaine (is there anything else I can do about that?) So I have a bad toothache, on top of everything else, that I'm blaming on the dysautonomia. :lol:

Not a good day, except for the fact that I can vent here and know that you all know where I'm coming from. Thanks for listening.

JB

Dear JB,

I have felt this same way so many times over the last almost 3 years and it still feels like yesterday, waiting for this POTS to pass, if it ever will. I also needed a lot of dental work after about a year of having POTS. I think it may have to do with dryness of the mouth from the dysautonomia so I've been extra vigilant about brushing, flossing, rinsing and drinking alot more water. I'm so sorry you're feeling down today. I put off going to the dentist too and was never been able to tolerate the epinephrine that is included in some novocaine preparations even before the POTS. I probably should have gone sooner looking back to save myself some painful days of facial neuritis. Take care, Martha

Guest tearose

Hi JB, yeah, we understand! It is crummy that you have a rash...is that new? Not digesting food properly is not unusual for me after something like a cold or virus, but I can see how dealing with a toothache could trigger this too!

Are you dealing with the dentist soon? Hope you don't meltdown into a puddle! :o

It would make sitting in the dentist's chair a challenge. Not to mention how undesirable it will be for the dentist too! :(

Sending healing wishes your way. tearose

Thanks, guys. Toothache's better today, but the brain fog is a bit worse, and I've been unable to eat without the IHB for days now.

Sometimes I wonder of POTS/Dys is a factor in anorexia. there's so many similar things going on in both.

Tearose, the rash thing - I get them often. This one looks different, though. Rounded edges. Weird.

Going to rest for a while... See you all later. Where did this flareup come from? I've read that Dys people can have delayed reactions (ANS-wise), sometimes as much as months after a stressor. Good grief.

JLB

So sorry for the rough time you are having. Whenever I get a flare-up I also try to figure out what has caused it, but cannot often come up with anything. They seem pretty random in my case, but also short-lived (perhaps a day or two). I hope that is the case for you with this too. I know this is my mantra--but, have you been keeping up with your fluids and salt?

Odd about the teeth problem and I also wonder about a connection, although I have never had a problem with dry mouth. I have had 2 cavities filled in the past year, and prior to that only had 2 in my entire life. I attribute it to the changes that happen during pregnancy to the gums, but maybe it is POTS? My dentist asked me if I have been drinking a lot of soda--but I don't drink any soda, nor do I even eat much food with sugar, except fruit! My youngest sister who was also diagnosed with POTS last year, has had 6 cavities in the past year, and she also never had many before. However, she does drink a lot of soda.

Good luck with your trip to the dentist. Hope you are feeling much better soon.

Katherine

Count me in on your vent-a-thon. Oh, and do I ever empathize with you regarding the tooth woes. I have YET to finish the dental implant work that was started in 2003 for a broken molar. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Nina

Hey JLB,

Just checking on you. How are you doing today, any better? I, too, had the dental work put off for a year and a half, and had a tooth that I needed drilled desperately. I finally had to bite the bullet and get it done. I told my dentist my fears, and about my nervous system problems. Here is what we did: an hour before the appt., I took 2 advil (advil is my wonder drug) and I took a klonopin (anti anxiety med). I brought my CD player with soothing music, and my dentist assured me he would use as little novocaine as possible, and he used more of the numbing stuff on my gums. He talked to me the whole way through, explaining the steps, and how much time I had left. He also reclined my chair so I was laying down flat. Fighting off the anxiety was the worst part for me, but before I knew it, he was done. It wasn't too bad.

I, too, have a tricky heart. It will fly (I usually hit 170 everytime) at the drop of a dime. The key for me is to focus on something, and try and stay as relaxed as possible.

Hang in there!

Thanks, guys. Had a rough time over the last few days, not too much improvement but I'm hoping. Mornings are really bad.

I get terrified sometimes that this will get a lot worse. Yup, I'm keeping up (better now - actually, I think I let it slide a bit?) on my fluids and salt, and I know I was overtired for a while... Maybe that triggered it.

You know, I definitely think we Potsies/Dys folk have more dental problems. Katherine, like you, I never had much trouble until the past few years - now I have nothing but.

Ava, it didn't occur to me to just be up-front with my dentist. Ask her to talk me through it, etc. You're right - thanks.

Going to go read some here, then it's off to bed.

I wish I could get a regular HB going... :) It's been over a week now.