Weird Night Symptoms

The last couple of weeks i have been waking up startled and feeling faint. When i wake up my arms or legs are "asleep" with the pins and needles feeling. Last night i woke up and my hand was locked up, like i couldn't move it-- and it was asleep. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Hi Lemons,

Yes...you might want to search for the thread called "Limbs falling asleep?" on this forum. We had a quite a lengthy conversation about the pins and needles, numbness, uselessness of our limbs at times. I also wake up with a start and feeling weird quite often...happened for 3 hours last night...fall asleep, wake up with a start, fall asleep, do it all over again. My guess is the adrenaline surges but I can't swear to it.

Hi. I have ME/CFS, autonomic neuropathy and suspected POTS. My sleep has become more weird as the years go by! I have had sleep paralysis for a number of years, but when the autonomic neuropathy kicked off four years ago I experienced strange pins and needles/burning limbs/freezing and numbness. I was also biting lumps out of my tongue and having night jerking sensations, where my fingers and limbs would move involuntarily. The medications; Gabapentin and Nortriptyline have helped with nerve pain and sleep, but I also got a really flat pillow, to stop the tongue-biting and made sure I had a really good mattress to ease pain. The main help is to totally relax before sleep, as I often have vivid nightmarish dreams which I wake up from. They make me sweat and make my abdominal muscles clench up and shock me into waking suddenly. I have noticed the more stressed and tense I am the worse they are, so the trick is to do meditation and to really relax before sleeping. It does work and the jerks subsided as the fear left me. A good mind/body balance works wonders. Good luck!