Anyone Know Much About Aspartame & What It Does? It May Be Helping Me In A Small Amounts?

hilbiligrl

I was just reading the other day on a post regarding hormones, etc...... and i read something that issie had written about aspartame and how it works in the body/brain and then i was reading how it (phenylalanine) is a precursor for tyrosine, the monoamine signaling molecules dopamine, norepinephrine (noradrenaline), and epinephrine (adrenaline). And also L-Phenylalanine is biologically converted into L-tyrosine, another one of the DNA-encoded amino acids. L-tyrosine in turn is converted into L-DOPA, which is further converted into dopamine, norepinephrine (noradrenaline), and epinephrine (adrenaline). The latter three are known as the catecholamines. (ok, i copied all that from wikipedia)...... cuz my poor give out brain can't make sense of what this does.

What's going on is: for the past 4 nights i have eaten gluten free yogurt (1/2 of a small container a night before i go to bed) and it has aspartame in it. Each morning i have woke up to a functional morning...... and a fairly functional day. A seriously significant improvement that i haven't felt in about 2 years. Of course, im also implementing the gluten free diet as best as i can..... and i noticed that 3 of those nights, that i slept hard, without waking up, a full night's sleep and well and actually woke up feeling like i had rested and i haven't felt that in probably 9 years, ever.

Keep in mind, I started on my period yesterday, so the 2 days before that and up until now would have been my most severe days of the month, as most of us are most severe the days before and during our periods. So, even with going into my monthly cycle and during it, all the sudden it's a very, very noticable change...... not a cure all, but it's just so obvious something is different.

I have thought this over and over the past few days since i read that post first about the aspartame, and then i was eating that yogurt and just happened to notice the next mornings were different, far different than id felt in a long time..... then i put 2 and 2 together and wandering if the aspartame could be contributing to this. But i can't seem to eat a whole container, if i eat the whole container, i feel some of the negative side effects, but a half one i seem to tolerate for the time being...... BUT is it this? that is making the difference??? I haven't changed any meds, other than going from generic zantac to the brand for a week, for my mcad.

I may be jumping to conclusions..... or it could be the brand named zantac? Or it could be a few days of remission..... But this is such an evident difference that i have never felt in a good 2-3 years, possibly more. I've walked around for days (get that??? i've walked more than i have in forever! but tire very very quickly still).... but have walked around wandering what it is that could be making this much of a difference and i cant figure it out. I have had 4 mornings that i could get out of bed and go. Of course, i run down fast and all, but i can tell something is different..... even the digestive issues have lightened up considerably... (could be due to the probiotics that is in the yogurt as well).

Is anyone's brain working today, cuz i still can't seem to make sense of it, or even if this is possible? Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas on the aspartame and how it affects the brain, in lamens terms?

thanks!!

tennille

Tenille, I don't know if the aspartame is doing anything, but definitely ENJOY!! You know we take what we can get!!

Regarding going gluten-free, I am 3 weeks into it and my stomach problems are about 80% better! I am trying to be conservative, as I feel the minute I make an announcement that my gi system is wonderful, I'm going to go back to being bloated. But, so far so good. I had ONE day in the middle of all this that I told my husband that I just felt good. But, so far it was just one day. I have been drowsy in the daytime, which is new for me. I am always wide awake, all the time, except when Xanax forces me to sleep. But, now just tired during the day. It's possible gluten made me hyperish and without it, I'm finding out that I'm normally tired. Who knows.

If you figure out what is helping you, definitely share!

I doubt that the aspartame is helping you. In the long run - it will cause memory dysfunction. I know a woman who they thought had Alzehemiers and it was the aspartame. I also know the doctor who worked on the team testing this before it was approved by the FDA - he wouldn't give it to his worst enemy. The side effects are horrible. And we allow our children to have it in foods and candies - what is it doing to their young, maturing brains? It's scarry!

It could be the good probiotics in the youguart. You could try taking probiotics or just use plain youguart and see if that still makes a difference.

Issie

I'm glad your feeling better! I really don't think it's the aspartame though. It's been known to cause seizures and other side effects when had in excess.

Thank you so much everyone! I agree with everyone, that it's the gluten free diet that is making the difference..... today i've bounced back to barely functional..... so i had a good 6 or 7 days there...... something to be thankful for :) I'm still working hard to eating right , etc..... looks like im adding some probiotics to my regimen too, as i do think they may be helping as well :)

again, thank u everyone!! happy New year and wishing everyone a blessed new year on here!

tennille