Can We Repair Our Nerves?

jangle

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20100712/Scientists-discover-way-to-enhance-nerve-regeneration-in-peripheral-nervous-system.aspx

According to this research team and others, it seems that inhibiting PTEN can drastically accelerate the regeneration of peripheral nerves. One thing I never understood was why our autonomic nerves didn't regenerate after being damaged. I was wondering if anyone could share their insight on the issue and what might be done that could help our nerves repair.

Yes, but one thing that has always confused me is why our nerves don't seem to regenerate and we have these dysautonomia symptoms seemingly indefinitely. Now of course there is a significant number of people who seem to improve with time, but then there are others who don't and get worse. I wish there was more research being conducted on regenerating damaged nerves because I do think there's a lot of potential given the fact that the peripheral nervous system is naturally able to regenerate itself.

Perhaps the best type of treatment for us would focus on providing the environment to accelerate and optimize our autonomic nerves regenerating.

Maybe our nerves don't regenerate because there is something attacking the nerves? A disease or antibody or something? I have Small Fiber Neuropathy (confirmed by biopsy) and my understanding is that autonomic nerves are affected too, which is the reason for the POTS symptoms. My Dr's focus was trying to figure out what could be causing the nerve death/damage. Still looking. So maybe our nerves can't regenerate while the source of the problem is still there? Of course none of this proven - just speculating.

Great info thanks. I have gluten antibodies in my stool still so while my ataxia and brain fog are

mostly gone, this may explain my dysautonomia. I'm on a mostly paleo diet with very little

cheating but I can see now that I need to stop that too. Whole foods for me ..

I know that i have thyroid antibodies so what type antibodies would they look for ?

I have high mercury and multiple elevated viral titers too tho. Tc .. D

There was a Extreme Makeover Home Edition show back in September that was based on a quadriplegic. In the show, there is a center in Colorado that trains quadriplegics to heal their nerves and begin walking/running again. It took intensive therapy for many years, but there were many clients with positive results. The owner had be paralyzed for many years, developed the program, and now ambulates like nothing has ever been wrong. It really makes me wonder the correlation between their recovery and that of someone with Dysautonomia.