Scholarships?

potsyturvy

I am thinking of going back to school, and was wondering if anyone knows if there are any scholarships available for POTS or EDS. I can't work while I go to school, thanks to POTS, and there is no way I can afford it without scholarships. I can get a small amount for my gpa, but I don't qualify for any based on need, because my parents make too much money. I wish the schools took into consideration that not everyone's parents are paying for their college! Sorry to rant a little there! I was just curious if anyone has found anything on this topic! :)

The only great scholarships I found for my son were the Anne & Allegra Ford scholarship for graduating seniors with documented LD's. Many with dysautonomia also have LD's, like slow speed processing, dyslexia, etc. The scholarships are $10,000 each and unfortunately very competitive. Sounds like you are NOT a graduating senior? In that case your best bet may be a diversity scholarship. Most schools offer them. They are NOT based on financial need, but rather on proven academic success. Your disability IS what makes you diverse. Maybe google that concept and see what you come up with.

So proud of you for going back!!!! :D

I don't know of any either but I'm in a similar place as you. I really want to go back to school since I'm at least half way to a BA but I have absolutely no way to afford it right now (and at best only have the health to take an online class or two) And I've been wondering about scholarships for either specific health issues I have or even general ones for people with chronic illness.

And I don't know how old you are. I'm only 21, almost 22 but if all else fails I've been thinking I might just have to wait until whatever age it is that you no longer have to count your parent's income on the FAFSA (I'm in the same situation where my parents make too much... nevermind that my health has caused theme extreme financial difficulties and that I have an 18 year old brother who my parents don't even have enough money to send to community college! ugh, I wish FAFSA took all those things into account!) And I also know there a lot of scholarships and aid programs for people who have taken several years off from school and are above a certain age to help them go back to school. So I know it's not ideal if you're really wanting to go back now but it's a future possibility if you can't find any other way to make it work.

Thanks Mack's Mom! I'm hoping I can afford to go back! lol. I actually graduated from college a year ago with a B.S. in psychology. I was bedbound for half of this year, but am starting to perk up again. I'm actually just going back for an associates in Radiography, because I can't afford to get a Master's and PhD in psychology, so I can't do what I want to with it.

Tzipora, I totally understand. I hate it that they don't take any circumstances into account on the FAFSA. I'm 22, so I still have to count my parent's income on my FAFSA. I really need to go back to school, so I can get a job I can do and can support myself once I'm off my parent's insurance!

Hey Turvy-

Just a thought if you aren't 100% ready to give up on the field of psychology... many with a BS in psychology go on to get a master's degree in social work. An MSW is a terminal practice degree, unlike the field of psychology, where one needs a Ph.D or Pys.D in order to work clinically with patients. MSW's do the same clinical work & can directly bill insurance, etc. It's a quicker (and cheaper) way to get where you ultimately may want to go.

Best of luck deciding & funding. Pursue the diversity scholarship- almost every school offers them. You certainly qualify.

Julie