New Symptom - Cramping Of Diaphragm??

Katybug

So, I am used to the severe abdominal cramping I periodically get from POTS. But, for the last couple of weeks (I've been going downhill slowly) I've been getting severe cramping but it feels like it is up in my diaphragm. It is soooo painful. I told my mom this morning that before I gave in and took the Belladonna last night, I was having as much pain as when I had a lodged kidney stone and called an ambulance. It does feel similar to the cramping I get in my abdomen and the Belladonna does relieve it. But, it is worrisome because it is new, very painful and I've had it just about every other night for 2 weeks.

Does anyone else have this sensation or have any idea if it could be something other than my POTS cramping?

Thanks as always!!

Katie

I get these once every couple of months, the pain is terrible. Mine was found to be smooth muscle cramping in my esophagus and stomach. After one bad bout I ended up with a malrotated stomach, my transit times were very slow then. No one was able to say whether it is caused by dysautonomia or mitochondria problem. It's like having a huge muscle cramp in your quad right in the middle of your torso, it doubles me over everytime.

I deal with abdominal cramping quite a bit. Since I've gone 9 months without a period, I always wonder if the pain was connected to that, or to my autonomic neuropathy. Before I was on birth control pills, I had horrible cramps, which is why I started the pills about 25 years ago...Now menopause (I'm pretty sure) on top of my symptoms. It's a joy, ha.

I have really severe cramping there too sometimes. I think mine is more likely my stomach and esophagus, but it's very painful and feels like how people describe ulcer pain, but there's no ulcer there. Unfortunately it flares up when I take anti-inflammatories too...I don't suppose you've taken anything like that lately? Whatever is causing it, I hope you feel better!

Thanks folks!

I feel like I have to take tiny breaths when I get these cramps or the cramps get worse.

And, YES, to Todd's description of how it feels. It's really pretty bad when it happens.

I am also wondering if there is a problem with my hiatal hernia. When I was scoped last year by the GI, he found it but said it was too small to worry about operating at that point. I have an appointment to see a Rheumy in early Feb. because I have many features of possibly having a connective tissue disorder (the hernia being one of the features).

I'm wondering if I should get this checked out.........hmmmm........I'm just so sick of being poked and prodded............

Thanks folks!

I feel like I have to take tiny breaths when I get these cramps or the cramps get worse.

And, YES, to Todd's description of how it feels. It's really pretty bad when it happens.

I am also wondering if there is a problem with my hiatal hernia. When I was scoped last year by the GI, he found it but said it was too small to worry about operating at that point. I have an appointment to see a Rheumy in early Feb. because I have many features of possibly having a connective tissue disorder (the hernia being one of the features).

I'm wondering if I should get this checked out.........hmmmm........I'm just so sick of being poked and prodded............

It would be good to have it checked out. Last year I started having abdominal pain and thought it was just another pots symptom. I fooled around with it for 8 months and finally went to the er where I was told it was gallstones. The trouble is that wasn't the cause and the problem continued after my gallbladder was removed. I still put off going back to the doctor until I had to go back to the emergency room 2 more times because of the pain. The emergency room misdiagnosed me both times but the follow up found I had a paraesophageal hernia which is when the stomach pushes through a hole in the diaphragm and is part in the chest and is in danger of being strangled by the diaphragm. I was lucky because each time the stomach was being strangled it eventually released but if it had not I would have died.

The point is that even though we are sick of going to the doctors and being made to feel like hypochondriacs we need to have our symptoms checked out in case it is something serious.

I have had similar symptoms at times. I describe it as feeling like going thru labor but the contractions are in my chest. My GI thought it was probably esophageal spasms but thought it was part of the "bigger picture we're not seeing yet" so wouldn't diagnose them as such. (This was before the POTS diagnosis etc.) He said you can have motility studies of the esophagus to test for this but you have to be symptomatic at the time and, like trying to diagnose MCAD... you have to have the foresight to schedule your tests for the day and hour you'll be symptomatic. LOL

I have had weird reflux and motility issues since I was 5 years old and have run the gammut of GI meds. I have to say that the only thing that has helped this horrible cramping (both abdominal and this new stuff up near my diaphragm) has been the Belladonna. They have been able to see most of the issues (including some of the spasming) on upper and lower GI series. Also caught some of the spasms on an endoscopy.

But, that's why I wonder about this new cramping...because I've had spasms in my whole GI tract for so long and it has never felt like this.

Oh well, Tuesday will be here soon and I'm sure by Tuesday afternoon I'll have made an appt with the GI again.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to a new GI in the city next week and can't wait... I've developed this new pain / cramping syndrome, or unmasking old pain using ice and heat for pain. Starting under my right breast and the pain turns into right flank pain / cramps. Then radiates around my back on the same side around my bra line. Hurts to breathe also. Also feels like my GI system has slowed down... I keep getting very painful flares. Not long ago it landed in me the hospital and they thought for sure it was my heart. I though it COSTOCHONDRITIS or PLEURSEY after reading more about the pain.

Thanks folks!

I get diaphragm cramping while exercising. The pain is extremely intense, and like you explain, it makes it really hard to breath. Believe it or not, this sort of cramping is common among athletes, especially runners. If you look up info about this on sports related websites, you might find techniques to use to stop the cramp.

A techniques that helps me... I tilt my head up, arch my chest out (opening up the diaphragm), and grunt as hard as I can grunt! You will look really goofy doing this, but it is well worth the pain relief if it helps!

Bella,

just a thought, have you ever had your gallbladder checked? You described quite well my mom's gallbladder episodes.

Good luck with the new dr next week and please keep us posted.

Hope you feel better soon.

Alex

Katy you have EDS right? Are you hyper mobile? I get pain around my diaghrphrsm a lot. I have pain everyone and recently described to give myofascial release a try. Yesterday was my first appointment, it was an experience and the jury is still out. But she told my diaghrphram was extremely tight. It's almost like the contractures that can happen in EDS built up around my diaghrphram. She thinks in time she can lesson it. Is that a possibility for you?

Thanks Racer! These episodes had been gone for a long time but recently I have had a couple of instances. Not as se severe as before. I have no idea why they went away for a while and why they're back. Ugh!

Just a thought, for most people posture is what leads to cramping (including athletes). If you have been siting for long periods (slouching in a chair?) this can lead to that sort of cramping. If you assume the same position to soon after a cramp, it will come back since you haven't stretched the muscle long enough.

Not saying posture is the problem, just saying it is something to think about.

Bananas - you might be on to something. I used to see (about 15 yrs ago) a pt who did myofacial release and dry needling and we did have to work on my diaphragm (yes I have HEDS). I wasn't having this particular pain but it could be related. It was definitely a past problem area. My GI wasn't enthusiastic about checking to see if my hiatal hernia has gotten bigger but I also wonder if that could be involved (my mom just had to have surgery to fix this 2 yrs ago, 2/3 of her stomach had punched through her diaphragm and was causing all sorts of problems by the time someone figured it out.)

Racer - I do understand what you're saying. Even when I am lying down I try to arrange myself and my pillows so I am fairly stretched out because I hurt in other ways if I don't.