Would You Take This Side Effect? Hypothetical

ramakentesh

Well I drink coffee which helps a bit with dizziness, but makes me a little jittery. It's a worth it side effect. If I could find something to help with dizziness, I would definitely at least try it. I personally wouldn't go for anti-anxiety meds (thinking benzos?) because of the potential long term problems with these, but they might ok for you.

Quality of life can be defined in different ways.

I loved my job.

Being able to work again would bring me happiness....

Then again at the same time if it is making you nervous and gittery what is happening in your body and is that a sign that long term that medication would have negative effects?

My decision to smoke in the past was kind of the same... I chose to risk my health to feel better with my POTS and would do it again. Its definently better to have a quality of life than a quanity, especially if you are depressed and anxious. However, if the medication is making you have that I would stop it. I can handle dizziness and lightheadedness,even though they stink, but to feel anxious and depressed everyday is no way to live.

As great as it is to have relief from dizziness I wouldn't want to be on something that has the potential to change my feelings/personality. I would talk to the doctor to see what they think about adding a med or not taking the med. It would also depend on how intense/how much/long the negative side effects are.

If I could get rid of the dizziness and become functional again, I would take the jitteriness. I'm jittery anyway from the adrenaline surges but that feeling is not what stops me from participating in all my old activities. I will say that I would think twice if the jitteriness turned into causing sleep issues as I know that lack of sleep really sets off many of my worst symptoms.

Lieze had a good point though...maybe the side effects are just temporary and will relieve with a little time. It's worth a shot.

I would ask the doctor if it was possible to lower the dose or not. I know some medications you can't but I know I am sensitive to some medications so I felt wired and jittery when I would take them. When I took paxil a year ago it helped but I would have restless leg and feel jittery. The doctor lowered the dose and it helped out a lot. If its not possible, you will have to weigh the pros and cons. Sometimes you can adjust but otherwise it might drive you crazy.

My daughter has been given meds for her MCAS with horrible side effects. Each time people tried to convince us that she had to live with the effects as she is so sensitive to many drugs.

I did not allow her to stick with the meds though, we did find meds that worked very well and with no side effects. The best one she was on was pulled from the market, we are back on the search again.