You Know You Have Pots When...(Silly Post)

Clairefmartin

When doing a load of laundry and actually washing it, drying and folding it and you feel as though you've climed Mt. Everest, yet you haven't left the laundry room.

When you have an old person's pill box and you're middle aged (or younger)

When you have post it notes all over the house as reminders to do everything.

When watching a movie over and over is no big deal because you can't remember what happened the first time you watched it! It's new every time :)

When your husband asks, "Do you have any spoons left for me?" or "Don't use all your spoons today, please try to save some for me" :)

Sadly, when people stop calling to ask you to join them for coffee, field trip or whatnot because they know you won't be joining them anyway :(

When your children ask if they need to set up a sick bed on the couch for you.

When you've hit your target heart rate for burning the maximum amount of calories by just getting out of bed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Kayjay, I've been told that too. And though it made me feel proud of myself (I knew nothing when I was diagnosed) I felt sad that so much is yet to be learned by doctors who (imo) should be the ones educating their patients.

+1

It is unsettling because I certainly don't have the answers... Just lots of questions!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

You know you have pots when...

You no longer cook for enjoyment, you cook for living. For me, if it tastes bad, I'm sure it's good for me, because I hate HATE salty stuff, it all tastes horrible to me, so I literally choke food down now when I do eat. All of my cooking experiments have been failed lately, but man, I can still bake like crazy.

Your phone has alarm settings titled "take midodrine", "take your midodrine now...", and "seriously, get off your duff and take your pills". Yes, I have alarms set for them, but I usually don't need them now, I'm pretty much on a schedule and I know when it's time to dose by feelings.

And my favorite...You realize your compression stockings negate the need to shave your legs. Yes, this just happened for me. I was about to take a shower, slather some veet on, and shave my legs, but then I double checked my outfit for church tomorrow, and realized, the knee high stockings I like to use are perfect for the capris I'm wearing. Score! Now they will eventually get shaved, but right now I can save my energy for something else.

• 1 month later...

This is such a great thread! :)

You know you have Pots when...

You have such bad nausea for days that everything you can think of to eat (including a dry cracker) is repulsive; however, you can mix up a salt 'n water shooter and that goes down easy.

You see your doctor make a gagging face when you tell him about drinking salt/water shooters.

You could help a sketch artist recreate the inside of a store fitting room including the exact length of the bench, the height of the walls and what the ceiling looks like...(if only you could remember anything...)

• 2 weeks later...

You know you have POTS when...

...You scream in excitement when you notice that the pretzel M&M's have 200mg of sodium per serving, thus allowing you to have chocolate. I know its not much, but its better than nothing, and sometimes you just need chocolate, lol.

...when you salt your water in the restaurant, thus causing the people around you to gag. For what its worth, I usually get a lot of lemons with my water, so I don't really taste the salt. I got asked "if you're eating so much salt already, why do that, why not have plain water?" Any little bit helps, and given how my stomach may be doing that day, I may not be eating, so drinking my sodium it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

You walk into your doctors office for your monthly appointment and realize you now all the nursing staff and receptionists by first name, the number of kids they have, and what each of them did before they started nursing as their profession......

You get excited about eating processed food again (HOT POCKETS) because the salt content is astronomically high and maybe just maybe you won't have to choke down a salt tablet or 8.

When your doctor asks you if you were a med student because medical jargon just rolls off your tongue!

When you ask your doctor if it could be PoTS and he has to ask you how it's diagnosed!

When you get excited about different types of salt, "Ooh look, it comes in pink too!", and you are the only person who looks at the salt content on items and exclaims about how stupidly low the salt content is! "What! These potato chips now only have as much salt in them as a slice of bread!!! How rubbish is that?!!!" :)

When you could seriously write a guide book of all your local hospitals!

You know you have POTS when.... ::

- You have to carry around a giant purse filled with emergency items and have a spritzer handheld fan hooked onto it

- You use the way your hands turn red then back to normal depending on their position as a parlor trick to entertain friends

- You tell people your diagnosis and they make jokes about having something called "PANS" because they don't know if you're serious or not

• 4 weeks later...