Article About Hypermobility, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, And Dysautonomia

Shiner Kitty

This is a very good 2004 article from The CFIDS Chronicle written by Dr. Alan Pocinki discussing how Joint Hypermobility relates to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (or CFIDS), Dysautonomia, Migraines, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Interstitial Cystitis, Vulvodynia, etc. I searched the forum, but I didn't see this article previously posted.

http://www.cfids.org...mer-feature.pdf

Thanks for posting this! I had wondered lately how similar my fatigue was to CFS, although it can't technically be CFS since it's due to other issues (chronic pain, fibromyalgia, etc) if you want to get technical about it. I really like the article's linkage of hypermobility, dysautonomia, fibromyalgia, and CFS and their willingness to consider them as one large syndrome instead of falling prey to the fallacy that things with different names/different primary symptoms must be unrelated.

Thank you for posting this, Shiner Kitty (cute name, btw!). I've wondered how much overlap there is between dysautonomia and chronic fatigue, particulary if a lot of people who are categorized as CFS actually suffer from POTS or some type of dysautonomia. I know I was there for a long time, and even though POTS is a huge pain, I'd rather have that diagnosis than CFS since I know a bit more about what's happening with my body and how I might treat it.

One thing that I still get that seems more like CFS than POTS is a sore throat almost every day. I wonder if others on this forum get this? I also have recurrent mono, so it may just be related to that.

EDIT: I just saw this sentence in the article, "...diminished blood flow to the head and neck may contribute to sore throat by affecting blood flow to neck muscles..." Interesting! Still I'm curious if others have this?

My sister also has CFS (although she denies anything like POTS, but I'm skeptical), and has a chronic sore throat as well. She also has recurrent mono.

It's funny you say that about your sister, Peregrine, because I have a sister with those symptoms, mono, and CFS as well, and I'm always seeing POTS symptoms in her as well, but she doesn't think she has it either. Maybe I just have POTS on the brain. :)