I'm A Bit Concerned About General Anesthesia

IDreamInColor

I have an appointment today and will learn wether or not I will be having surgery. The surgery doesn't scare me, but the anesthesia does. I had an endoscopy this past September and it was done with just the twilight sleep, and it took me 3 hours to come out of it, and when I woke up there were 3 nurses around my bed telling me they couldn't get my blood pressure up. I've had twlight sleep in the past before the POTS hit hard and I was fine, no problems.

But with this surgery they will be using general anesthesia, not twilight, and it's scary to me, what if my blood pressure bottoms out? Has anyone had any experience with gen anesthesia with having pots?

I actually just had an endoscopy and colonoscopy last week and had general anesthesia for it. Also, I had a laparoscopy this past spring with general anesthesia. I was really worried about it as well, especially on the endo/colonscopy since I couldn't eat the day before, but things didn't go too terribly.

First, I asked my cardiologist who treats my POTS about it, and he said that I should ask the people doing my procedure to pre-load me with extra fluids before the surgery, so I think that probably helped. I made sure the people assisting with the surgery knew about POTS too. To some of them it was news, so I'm glad I mentioned it! Afterwards, it did take me a long time to come out of the anesthesia. I don't recall the whole thing that well, so I don't remember anything about my blood pressure--it's normally pretty low I know. However, I wasn't able to stand after the surgery without getting really dizzy and starting to pass out, so the nurses gave me lots of fluids and eventually took me to the car in a wheelchair and were really good about helping me into the car, etc.

I've heard lots of people say they go out to lunch after a procedure like this, and there's no way I EVER would have been able to do that. I pretty much slept the entire day afterwards, and still felt pretty out of it until just recently. Essentially, it was a lot harder for me that it would be for most people, but the doctors and nurses made sure everyone knew what was going on so it worked out the best it could.

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience before and that you have to have another surgery! Do you have a good doctor who treats your POTS? Maybe he or she could advise you as to how you could best handle this? Good luck to you!

General anesthesia is tons better. I had both too and was still too much awake with my endoscopy and I could hear everything for a while. I had general anesthesia the second time and I woke up and fell asleep just like any normal person would. Try not to worry, you'll be o.k.

I do fine with anesthesia. I actually feel more groggy and POTsy for days after twighlight, whereas with general, I'm good within a few hours and usually able to get out of bed (if I'm allowed... er, and sometimes even when I wasn't allowed; I hate using a bedpan!).

NIna

I was worried about general anesthesia for a recent D&C I had. I explained to the Anesthesiologist my disease and how I have reacted in the past with general anesthesia. He opted for a TIVA Infusion (Total Intervenous Anesthesia-A profolol infusion). The best anesthesia experience I had. I would recommend it in place of general anesthesia any day. Good luck.

Wow, I'm so glad you all said that general is better than twilight, it eases my mind. However, I am worried about the nausea after general, did anyone experience that? The surgery is scheduled for Jan 12. They actually wanted to do the surgery earlier, Dec 22, but I told them too many Christmas have been ruined by health problems, so I decided to wait.

I've had nausea after general anesthesia, but it hasn't been especially extreme. I'm able to get really bland foods and liquids down--kind of like when I have the flu. Mostly I'm just extra dizzy and prone to passing out for a day or two after, but I just know to take it easy. Good luck with it in January and I'm glad you don't have to deal with it over Christmas!

I always got nausea after coming out of it. I asked what they could do for the nausea and they gave me meds through my IV before the procedure. It made me feel a lot less sick!

I am extremely senistive to any substance that acts on my ANS so I had to have my endoscopy and colonoscopy unsedated :wacko: and let me tell you it was very unpleasant. It seems a lot of people with POTS tolerate substances like caffeine, alcohol, anestheisa, opiates, sedatives a lot better than I do but if I have even a small amount of any of those subtances i end up in the emergency room with severe adverse reactions and distruptions in my vitals and body temperature, I am pretty sure you will be fine if they take some additional precaution, my case however is a bit more unique and bizarre.

The first time my daughter had surgery the anesthesiologist freaked out because it took three times the normal dose for her size and weight. Luckily her neurologist was in the OR and walked him through her POTS issues.

The second time she had surgery the anesthesiologist was prepared for her strange biochemistry, but the surgery was much more extensive. My daughter was given morphine for pain and it did not work. The second pain medicine ordered did not work either. So she went almost an hour without any pain medication until the surgeon finished his surgery and would order another medicine. My sister had the same issue with morphine so the surgeon immediately believed us. I really don't think the hospital staff (and we were at a large Children's hospital) had ever dealt with a patient where morphine did not work. Although the staff was very kind they were skeptical during the time my child screamed in recovery with 20+ other children.

Since that time I have talked to many Potsies who have had the same problem with morphine. We met with my daughter's surgeon a few months ago and he said the same thing has happened on susequent POTS patients. The surgeon also said he always adds a month to the recovery period for POTS patients - it just takes us longer to rebound.

So, if I can offer any advice, make sure your docs are aware that you may react differently to post op pain and have a plan in place.

Edited by corina