Showering Makes Me Nauseous?

puppylove

When ever I take a shower I get super nauseous. I occasionally have to stop in the middle of showering and come out I feel so sick. It also makes me dizzy and the blood starts pooling in my arms and legs too. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes. This is a common response for POTS patients w low blood pressure on standing--the warm water tends to cause blood vessels to dilate (just like hot weather does) lowering blood pressure.

I found showering in the evening helped as my symptoms were better in the evening (when I was sicker w POTS than I am now). Some people use shower stools for this reason.

I literally just got out of the shower about 20 minutes ago and yes, the same thing happens to me! And I only take very quick showers about once a week because it is so hard for me. I actually didn't know until yesterday what blood pooling even looked like but as soon as I saw a picture I knew that was what happens when I shower. Today I was looking at my skin and my toes were all swollen even. I'm super pale naturally too so it's pretty obvious.

The best showers I've ever had were honestly in the hospital where I could sit down!

Yup - that's why I only take baths! :) I've only had two showers in the last three years...after I gave birth to each of my sons, since there was only a shower at the hospital! Be careful if you're reacting in the shower - my sister randomly faints in them, and has been very fortunate thus far and hasn't been seriously hurt.

I also take mostly baths, and shower only once or twice a week when I have to wash my hair. It's exhausting! I agree with other here - a shower stool can help out when you need to shower. I try to take quick showers, and I need my husband around while I'm showering in case I pass out.

I too take quick showers and always make sure someone (most often my mom) is in the house while I am showering. I get lightheaded and nauseas when I shower.

Yes, that happens to me too. I always shower with a shower stool now, and this makes it much easier for me. When necessary, I run cold water on my legs and feet to help the veins constrict so that I don't get so dizzy.

After a shower I usually have to lie down in bed for a little while to recover.

I think it's a combination of the heat dilating your blood vessels and the prolonged standing - also raising your arms above your head puts pressure on a few arteries that supply blood to your brain, which is another reason why some people pass out while shampooing their hair.

I've found that rinsing my legs with cold water for a minute after/in the middle of a shower will make me feel so much better.