Vomiting Blood And Ambulance Ride!

Lette

Dunno if this has ever happened you lot but I just wanted to share what happened to me Sunday night Monday morning about 01:30am, I felt very nauseated and suddenly got sick raw acid from my tummy, It kept going for about 15mins then I started vomiting some serious ammounts of dark red blood, I was very scared and so sore I nearly passed out! My hubby called the ambulance as it wasnt stopping. They arrived 40mins later and im doubled up in the living room with a bucket full of red, im sweating and burning from my insides out. I get into the ambulance and as soon as it starts moving the vibrations make me worse and I passed out!

They gave me 2 lots of morphine (wow I adore that stuff) but it didnt even touch the pain! Once I got to hospital they treated me with other meds to settle my stomach. The pain and sickness lasted for hours before subsiding and all bloods came back clear so I had no infection, just my usual nausea with my Pots.

I am terrified now that if I get sick this will happen again, so I am eating very little and resting a lot, and when I do eat its all soft foods, wow Id love a solid sub sammitch! :P

Im doing better now though still very raw and sore and on meds to help my tummy. what had happened was as I got sick the acid from my gut burned the full length of my esophagus (sp?) and made me bleed inside, I had never whitnessed pain like it!

Have any of you had this, is there anything that helps stop the raw feeling? will I need to reduce my eating for good to avoid this? Thanks xxx

I kind of experienced a milder form of this...um...in reverse. Before I got smart GI doctors, who knew about my slow GI tract the old ones would tell me to eat a lot of fiber. And all that fiber would harden as it sat and my body withdrew water from it. Since I have EDS my membranes are just as fragile as my skin. So when I would go it would look like a crime scene. Just blood everywhere. I had to get an iron transfusion eventually. You say you suspect EDS, well if you do have it your skin breaks easily, you bleed freely and you heal slowly. You might just have to wait it out. Like you said, better to eat softer foods to let your esophagus heal.

Hi Lette,

I do experience this but not to the point that I have needed to go to the hospital (that must have been awful!) When I go through episodes of vomiting (and they almost always start in the middle of the night waking me form my sleep), they are super acidic and I have chemical burns in my throat and mouth for days. I have occassionally also vomitted small amounts of blood from the irritation. I also get the really bad pain with it and sometimes it is followed by diarrhea which is also extremely acidic and leaves what feels like chemical burns.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Stay on the bland diet, not just to keep from vomitting again until your tummy feels better, but also to let the acid burns heal. Be careful not to eat or dring anything (like juice) that has its own acidity.

2) I do find that eating yogurt helps both replenish the probiotics but also coats my mouth and throat until the burns heal. You can also try something along the lines of Pepto to coat your mouth, throat, and tummy from the acid.

3) Get with your PCP or GI to get something you can take at home to stop the vomiting and the pain early in the process. I get into a vicious cycle if I don't start taking my promethazine (for vomitting, which they also make in suppository form if you are vomitting and can't keep a pill down) and my belladonna (for severe cramping and diarrhea) early in the process. The more and longer I vomit, the worse it gets...like my body can't shut it off and I need the meds to reset my system. I usually only need to take a couple of days of meds to get me back on track.

Also, you mention that morphine did nothing for you. When I had emergency surgery for a kidney stone, they gave me morphine and it did less than nothing and they had to put me on dilaudid. Wonder what that's about. I am betting the adrenaline surges has something to do with that. Just a guess.

I totally get how miserable the stomach stuff is and also how scary as I have woken up on my bathroom floor hours later wondering what happened. I hope you feel better very very soon.

Katie

Hi, yep, have had this.

I decided to stop omeprazol as it wasn't working, just stop it with no taper. mistake.

After about 3 days regurgitated/vomited everything then came the blood. Like you I went to hospital, given pain killer, IV saline, IV omemprazol to stop the acid, and a drug to stop vomiting, and a valium. Was supposed to have a gastroscopy but never did. I was undiagnosed @ this point and it healed rapidly. was fine for quite a while. however yesterday actually developed stomach pain, and i suspect gasteoparesis, getting a gatrsocpy tomorrow.

I have EDS 3, but i think its an EDS thing. Have learnt my lesson, don't over eat or stop PPI!

Thanks so much folks :) I am feeling a lot better than I was, The burning is still a little there and I get waves of nausea every now and then but doing much better, also eating far less than I used to and eating a bland diet is defo working, as well as making me lose weight which for now isnt really a bad thing! :)

the reason I vomited blood apparantly is because the acid in my tummy burned me so bad that my esophagus was damaged enough to bleed, im still pretty raw a week after it and i have reduced my intake of food drastically and im eating lots of soft foods to help with the raw feeling, iv never had that before it was mad!!