New Member Leaving Hospital

Tautologist

Hi

I'm new to the forum. I was diagnosed with POTS with Orthostatic Hypotension just under a year ago, and have been in hospital for the past 2 weeks to try changing meds under supervision.

I was on beta blockers and fludrocortisone, the second of which I needed to stop taking. The doctors tried swapping fludro for midodrine, which was not nearly as effective. Now I've swapped the midodrine for octreotide injections 3 times a day, which seem to be helping. I was pretty nervous about doing those, but after a couple of days I've learnt how to inject myself, and I'm going home today.

I've also been given the usual advice of exercise sitting down, drinking loads of water, eating a lot of salt, raising the head of the bed and (my personal favourite) "stand up slowly". I think most of us with posture related syncope/presyncope probably have figured that last one out for ourselves!

From what I gather, I'm very lucky to have doctors who have taken this much interest in the condition, especially now it's their floor I keep falling over on.

It's really good to find this forum - hope everyone has a 'good' day today :)

Tautologist

Hi,

I am really pleased you have had this much care over finding the right medication for you. You will gather from this website it can be very hit and miss.

Which hospital have you been in and who are you under?

hi tautologist,

welcome to the forum and great to be able to get leave hospital!

i'm on octreotide too, started of injecting myself 3 times a day and after about 3 months i swapped them for the LAR, combined with an ssri to keep my hr down. hope your combo works well for you!

take care,

corina :)