Hypersensitivity To Alcohol

julieph85

My pots starting flaring up again in July and i've just been getting progressively worse since. During this time i have noticed that i'm becoming more and more sensitive to alcohol. I'm a bit of a wino and like to drink a glass or two at night with dinner. I've noticed that when my dysautonomia is flaring I get drunk VERY fast and have weird reactions from even a small amount of alcohol. It doesn't make my orthostatic symptoms worse but it makes my face flush when i've stopped drinking (it's not from the sulfites because it happens no matter what kind of alcohol it is) and makes me SOOOOOO thirsty the next day. I know it is normal to be thirsty after drinking alcohol becuase it is dehydrating but i mean thirsty like i've never been in my life. I had a few extra glasses a couple weeks ago at a bday party and i was the most thirsty i've ever been in my life and my eyes were extrememly dry to the point they became severely blood shot. My thirst and dry eyes got so bad I went to a dr. and they said I was NOT dehydrated because my urine was clear and i was going a lot. It finally went away after 4 days like that. This made me think a lot about the renin/angiotensin system and what could be wrong with it in people like us. Alcohol blocks the effects of ADH which is why it is dehydrating. My thinking is why was mine so severe for 4 days? I feel like i am so over sensitive to alcohol when i'm in a flair.... does anyone get this too?

Julie,

I used to go out to happy hour on Friday and have 6-7 drinks over the course of 5-6 hours and be very under control. I wasn't a lush but I wasn't a light weight. I would also have a glass of wine or 2 if I went to dinner with my friends. But, my alcohol intolerance was one of the first and most violent symptoms I experienced. I would only get through 1/2 a glass (properly poured) of wine and I would barely be able to stay in my chair. I didn't feel drunk...I felt like I was going to pass out but was otherwise completely sober. I would also projectile vomit 2-3 hours after 1 drink. The first couple of times I thought I was unlucky and getting food poisoning but by the third time...well...I was going to nice restaurants...they couldn't all be giving me food poisoning. Then, on Xmas Eve 3 years ago, my friends found me just coming to on the floor of the ladies room after one drink. I had vomitted and then passed out. I couldn't stand on my own and they had to carry me to the car and then into my apartment. That was the last time I attempted a drink in public. I tried having a drink at home every few months but I just got sick every time. I now haven't had any alcohol in over a year...it just isn't worth how sick I get.

I know I've read somewhere that alcohol intolerance is a symptom of POTS.

Ive always tolerated alcohol fine since I developed POTS. Ive met a few other POTSies who say the same thing, mainly male for what ever reason? This might sound crazy but when im flaring terribly it actually helps a little. calms the nervous system down and reduces vasoconstriction. I remember there was a post where a few people with POTS said they noticed similar.

Same here - can't drink at all. I feel it in my head within a few sips. A few years ago I tried it just to see what would happen and after a few drinks, my heart raced, it felt like everything was going black, my eyes went out of focus (well-more than usual),very thirsty and constant trips to the bathroom. I won't touch a drop. I keep telling Dr's about this symptom because I feel like it's such a big clue. WHY would alcohol do this? Of course I get no response.

Alcohol is a potent vasodilator. Although in a minority of people tested it has a vasoconstrictive action. It vasodilates through unknown mechanisms that are not nitric oxide mediated (whereas most vasodilatory actions are mediated by nitric oxide, potassium or calcium channels or by interferring with alpha receptor constriction).

Have never been much of a drinker because it frequently triggered migraines but for the last two years I can't tolerate even little bits of alcohol without a HUGE increase in symptoms. Everything from GI problems to migraine, palpitations, tachy, SOB etc etc within minutes of drinking and symptoms will last for days afterward.