Does Anyone Have Fibromyalgia & Pots?

Doglover

I have not been officially diagnosed with POTS yet, but I am scheduled to go see Dr. Goodman at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ middle of next month. I wanted to know if anyone has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia along with POTS? I have been to several doctors and they acknowledge that I have some weird symptoms such as the tachycardia that aren't common to fibromyalgia, but other symptoms such as the horrible pain in the back of my head and neck are more common in fibromyalgia patients. I am curious if anyone has symptoms similar to these along with palpitations and the difficulty in swallowing and sometimes weakness in my arms and legs? Also, I notice that whenever I put my head down and then bring it up again, I get lightheaded and need to sit down. Additionally, if I take a hot shower,I start feeling dizzy, have palpitations, and get confused right away. I am just wondering if anyone else has any of these symptoms because sometimes I feel like I'm the only one experiencing them.

Nicole

I have both Fibro and POTS, I think many people do actually, I'm having a foggy brain day so I can't put into words why the connection :blink: ....BUt the pain in your head stuck out to me, as well as your head movement issues - ask or research a Chiari Malformation or Cervical Stenosis. I think both have been linked to Fibro and POTS. Just a thought....a foggy thought! Hope you feel better and find answers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19007537

You are not alone. Fibro is strongly associated with autonomic dysfunction. I have never been given the DX, but have certainly had every symptom at various times in my life. Since I've been on a mast cell activation regimen; my pain is gone. Weird- but I'll take it :)

• 2 weeks later...

You're definitely not alone! :) I have both too and have experienced all the symptoms you've listed. Getting sick after a hot shower, moving positions and getting lightheaded and the pain at the back of the head/neck (right at the cerebellum, yes?) are things that come along with POTS. (At least the headache did for me--I noticed not long before my POTS dx a new dull head pain that would never leave and was different from my normal daily headaches/migraines).

In any case, I hope the doctor is able to help you and get you on your way to feeling better soon!

I have all of your symptoms to a T. Especially the arm/upper back neck pain and weakness. my muscles are so weak they burn from lactic acid pain just trying to read a book. I've never been given a diagnosis of Fibro but I have RA. I'm also going to see Dr. Goodman next month!

i have both too :)

also have the trouble swallowing at times, but my gastro-intestinal tract is just rubbish and doesnt get the right info to function properly so i struggle to swallow, digest etc.

i often find it hard to separate conditions in my head and work out what symptoms are from what, but i think the fibro for me is mainly pain and tirednes- my whole body feels like a fresh bruise so whatever touches it hurts like heck, even fabric. my PoTS is the dizzyness, confusion, faints, tachycardia, palpitations etc. have no idea which causes the brain fog but judging by its severity at times i suspect it's both of them :lol:

fi xx

• 3 weeks later...

I've got fibro and what's probably POTS, according to myself and the cardiologist (seeing the neurologist next month). Fibro has been with me for a while; I've had general joint pain issues since I was young, worsening constantly after 15 and now in a steady state. It's been a bit tricky figuring out whether the brain fog (or any other symptom for that matter) is any of {bipolar,bipolar medications,fibromyalgia,chronic pain,dysautonomia} but at this point I just roll with it both in terms of causality guessing and treatment. The only factors that seem to be common to helping all of them are getting enough good sleep (heh), some exercise, and pacing the day carefully to avoid fatigue.

yep, fibro and POTS here. And ALSO complex regional pain syndrome; apparently it is related to an up regulated sympathetic system (that's me!).

You might ask about this as when I found out I had CRPS as well as or in some places instead of fibro, I got better treatment and pain relief.

The shower deal is a disaster that I have no way around. My sincere sympathy and empathy to your challenges. My approach: shower seated as much as possible, only wash my hair x 2 a week - the hands over the head part really screws with POTS. Can't get out of the hot bath once I sit down in it. As I have no life at all other than online just the doctors seem me looking dirty and frightful, I'm over it.

Good luck to us all.

What about chronic fatigue syndrome? I had a doctor I probably had that as well as the dysautonomia, but it's almost impossible to tell where one syndrome leaves off and the other one begins...I have autonomic neuropathy, which of course also causes fatigue. It seems like the same is true regarding fibromyalgia. I think it's difficult to ascertain a dividing line between these three syndromes.