Head Pressure And Spike In Blood Pressure When Trying To Fall Asleep

julieph85

For the last 3 weeks everytime I try to fall asleep while laying down I will suddenly get an intense wave of pressure in my chest and head. While it's happening I can feel and hear my heart beating in my ears. I have taken my BP while this is happening and it high. This also the same pressure feeling I get in my head and chest when I first stand up but this is much more intense. At first I thought this was anxiety but it keeps happening every night and I have noticed that when it happens my heart does not beat any faster but beats harder, i also noticed when it is happening I can feel my pulse all over my body. I cannot imagine what is causing these sudden surges in BP and heart contractility but it is scaring the crap out of me because ever since it started I have had headaches every single day and severe dizziness even while i'm sitting. I'm worried there is something wrong with the vessels in my head. Does anyone else experience this?

Julie,

I have never taken my BP while it is happening, but, I do experience the sensations you describe when I first get in bed...usually for anywhere from 15-45 minutes. I feel like its the blood redistributing through my body but that's only what it feels like...no science to back that up. I have a really hard time falling asleep. It usually takes 1.5 - 3 hours to fall asleep after I get into bed...it just takes longer if I go to bed earlier. I also think this may have something to do with adrenaline surges...at least the heart pounding part of it.

I wish I had some good advice but I don't...I can only commiserate with you. :rolleyes:

I also have symptoms when lying down that I do not get when upright. Also would like to understand.

The only thought I have on the bp is that if you are checking you bp maybe you are also feeling a little anxious--that could be bringing your bp up. Does it go back down fairly soon? I think the best you can do is document and share the info with your dr.

I'm sorry, I know anything unknown is stressful to deal with.

I do get this Julie. I've tested my blood pressure while it was happening and it's about 85/52. So I don't know what's happening. Sometimes I have to lay on my side because I can feel the blood actually pulsating in the back of my head and it makes the headaches and pressure worse. Also, when I lay down is when I feel my heart doing some flip flops and then I get a bit of anxiety. But I don't know what it is. I just chalk it up to my fluctuating blood pressure. I did get my thyroid out a few years back and it has actually become a bit more tolerable, but before that, it was pretty tough. But I don't have POTS like most on here, but did have a form of it for a few years, but it was more of a hypertensive situation. I have a few undiagnosed issues, but I have idiopathic autonomic neuropathy with orthostatic intolerance. Sorry that you are going through all this as well. It's definitely life changing.